Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

T-5 trans to V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: T-5 trans to V8

What is involved in adapting a T-5 trans to a 259. Are there bellhousings that make it a bolt-on or is there machining of the factory bellhousing involved to make it possible? Is it better to start with a truck or car bellhousing, etc? It would be a very desirable modification, so I assume it has been done but I don't have any idea how involved it might be. Can anyone explain the process. Thanks.

You need a 63-64 standard transmission bellhousing and a kit from Fairborn Studebaker. Trans tunnel slightly modified to clear the shifter and a new drive shaft.

Comment

Are you putting it in a car or a truck? My brother used a big truck bell housing to put a T-5 in his pickup. Jeff Rice is planning to make some adapters for the car bell housings.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

As far as the T-5 goes make sure you get the right one. There were Ford and GM bolt patterns. There was a GM version that tilted. They was a GM vesion that used the Ford bolt pattern. There are 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and V-8 version of the trans, hence it came in different strengths. Also there were world class and non world class trans. The world class is highly prefered. There were 2.95, 3.35 (an oddball 3.75) and the 4.01 first gears and a similar differing 5th gear of which I don't recall all the ratios. The input shaft lengths differed. The tail shafts differed as to where the shift lever resided.

A "True" T-5 was only built up until the early 90's and are over 25 years old. Afterwords there are "Tremec" transmissions that have their own oddities. I'm sure people here have done the swap and can therefore advise. Still know your "T-5's" because it is easy to get it wrong. My guess (and it is only a "guess") is they will advise the T-5 from the mid 80's to 93 Mustangs with the 3.35 first gear. At least here in the So. Cal. Pick Your Parts I haven't found one in years. If money is no object I believe they are still available new.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I should have mentioned that the T-5 for the car uses a Mustang type trans. The S-10 version was used in my brothers pickup because the shifter is in the right location. Do your homework before buying anything.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I used this kit to put a 1352-169 T5 from an 86Mustang/Capri. in my 53 Coupe.
            http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/.../giblint5.html
            I had the following issues.
            You will need to make a new drive shaft.
            The drive shaft hit the floor board up by the transmission, so I had to spread the tunnel apart a bit.
            You'll have to account for the tilted rear transmission mount on the case.
            The shifter is way back on the tailshaft housing so I made my own shift handle to clear the bench seat.

When it was all done I have the most fun car I've driven in years.
            Bill
            http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think Dan Giblin is still making that one, but the one Jeff is going to make is like that.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

If you are using a Chevy-pattern T-5 you are best off with an early '60s Hawk 4-speed bellhousing (Chevy pattern, not Ford) and the typical Stude-to-Chevy pilot adapter bushing. I don't recall off the top of my head which throw-out bearing I used. The tranny mounting holes had to be reamed slightly to accept the SAE mounting-bolts. Oh yeah, the back of the tranny throw-out mounting snout has to be turned down a little to fit into the big Stude bellowing hole. I about forgot the latter, not having done this in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                  There was a GM version that tilted.
                  Actually, the tilt was in the bellhousing. The trans itself, doesn't know or care except for the rear mounting pad is at about a 15* angle. These were out of Camaro/Trans-Am cars.
                  -------------------
                  Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
                  X