Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

electric pump overloading carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: electric pump overloading carb

Okay, I have tried searching for this any number of ways and don't have the time to read through hundreds of posts to find the one I need.

HELP!

It seems my mechanical fuel pump has failed. So I tried bypassing it with an electric. The pump is overloading the carb and gas is pouring out the vent on top of the carb.

Application:
    1956 259 stock -w- 2bbl WW Stromberg (stock original-rebuilt) carb.

I know this was discussed at length a while ago. Any search I do either comes up with hundreds of results, or none. After going through a dozen of useless leads, I resorted to just starting another thread. As I recall, the solution has to do with some kind of pressure regulator? However that's all I can recall.

Anyone, please?

Also, I was considering leaving the electric pump in place to use for priming after rebuilding the original.

Oh, the electric pump is a Edelbrock Micro Electronic Fuel Pump, 17303.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
    Okay, I have tried searching for this any number of ways and don't have the time to read through hundreds of posts to find the one I need.

HELP!

It seems my mechanical fuel pump has failed. So I tried bypassing it with an electric. The pump is overloading the carb and gas is pouring out the vent on top of the carb.

Application:
    1956 259 stock -w- 2bbl WW Stromberg (stock original-rebuilt) carb.

I know this was discussed at length a while ago. Any search I do either comes up with hundreds of results, or none. After going through a dozen of useless leads, I resorted to just starting another thread. As I recall, the solution has to do with some kind of pressure regulator? However that's all I can recall.

Anyone, please?

Also, I was considering leaving the electric pump in place to use for priming after rebuilding the original.

Oh, the electric pump is a Edelbrock Micro Electronic Fuel Pump, 17303.

That pump isn't over loading your carb. That pump puts out only 2-3 1/2 pounds. You have some trash on your needle and seat.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

What Jerry said. Might be time to put a kit in that carb to freshen it up.
      If you still want a fuel pressure regulator, there are all kinds of them at all kinds of prices. Check any auto parts store, eBay, Amazon.............etc.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Another indication that the pump is not overloading the carb...if it was, the gas would be coming out of the accelerator pump nozzles, not the vent.

Comment

Do you know that the Float Level is properly set?
          About a 16th. to 1/8th. Inch Lower than the Manual setting will help with 10% Alcohol Fuel.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I must admit, the carb has been sitting five years or so. It was rebuilt by Mr. Thibault (sp? Tee-bow) and he said everything was set where it should be.

Okay, I take it the needle is the triangular little thing with the round end having a rubber tip? Should the rubber tip point in toward the carb or out toward the fuel line? Also, should the rubber tip be flat? I suspect it might be in backwards?

Oh, and thank you all for the quick responses!

Ron Smith

Comment

The rubber tip points towards the fuel line.
              Usually the needle rubber tip is pointed, but the last Studebaker carb I worked on had a flat rubber, and a thin raised round sharp edge on the brass seat for the rubber to seal against.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                Usually the needle rubber tip is pointed, but the last Studebaker carb I worked on had a flat rubber, and a thin raised round sharp edge on the brass seat for the rubber to seal against.
                I have a kit for a '52 Carb. The needle and seat are completely different. However I closely examined the '56 WW needle and seat and they look to be fine. The float simply isn't providing sufficient pressure to resist the electric fuel pump.

I took the bottom off the mechanical fuel pump and everything looked okay. Put it back together and in the process found that the fuel line leading from pump to carb was blocked. Replaced the short rubber section and it now flows. Was able to get the engine to fire today. Not much to speak of, just stumbled along a bit and then died. But hey! Any sign of life is a good one for me! The battery is on charge to give her another try tomorrow.
                Ron Smith

Comment

Ethanol will destroy any old rubber fuel hoses, so they need to be changed to something modern that will stand up to crap gas.
                  Last edited by TWChamp; 07-22-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Having two threads on this same problem gets confusing.

With that bad line between the pump and the carb, you have foreign material going into the seat and preventing it from operating properly. It doesn't take much to prevent the needle and seat from sealing completely.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                      Possibly you have a more modern needle and seat made for ethanol based fuels.. Like this one:

https://daytonaparts.com/daytona-car...oat-valve.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Carb Needle and Seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1721466
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, that's exactly the one. I was surprised at how little clearance there is around the needle for the gas to flow in, but then Studebakers sip very little fuel compared to other makes.

Comment

Sorry Gary. I started the thread in the General forum more as a conversation or blog. This was to address the issue.

You are partly right as to the issue with the old hose and detritus in the valve body. However, even after it is cleaned out, the electric is overloading it. The mechanical pump seems to be fine with it though.

Jeff, thank you for that illustration. It seems Mr. Tee-Bow knows what he's doing all right! Not that I had any doubt anyway. I just thought the needle should have looked more like on the left than it does like the right. When I compared the two and examined them closely, it was obvious the difference between them. My usual assumption is that I screwed it up, as per usual.

SHE STARTED AND RAN TODAY!!Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	2
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1721489

However.. the engine is still making the alarming sounds. I will do a video and open another thread on this one.

Ron Smith

Comment

Okay, it appears the mechanical pump is overloading the carb as well. Gas pours out the vent on the top of the carb. I'll take the top off the carb again and have a look at everything. I'm kinda clueless about mechanical stuff though. Hence the reason I bother people around here.
                            Last edited by studeclunker; 07-24-2018, 01:51 AM.
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Probably needs a new Needle and seat as the rubber on the needle gets hard from sitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X