Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cleaning Door Jambs/Door Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Cleaning Door Jambs/Door Edges

Any tips or tricks for cleaning door jambs and the door sides to get ready for epoxy primer/paint?...

what do you mean by cleaning? Are you talking wax and grease remover or scuff sanding? Wax and grease use a small pump up spray bottle. Scuff sanding use a drill with scuff pads hooked to it .

Comment

I have no idea what may be on the jambs/doors, as far as contamination, and I don't want to sand it into the paint. Car has sat inside since 1974. Sanding, I know about. Guess I should have worded my question better...And BTW, lacquer thinner washes the paint right off.
      Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

You want Prep-sol or other like product. You'll find it at an automotive paint store.

Comment

If lacquer thinner is removing old paint it's probably gonna come off when you re paint, take it off now and save later grief.BTDT Luck Doofus

Comment

Are you actually painting the car yourself? If so, carry on.

If thinking doing prep work for the painter is going to lower your cost, consider it also gives him an unknown to work with and should there be any problem, he's been given an out.

Bit of an extreme example, but an owner was using the access from having the doors off to clean his interior. Problem was, he used a cleaner with silicone in it and the paint job was ruined by 'fisheyes' everywhere. The painter said, "Well, you caused it, so your cost to repaint."

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Will be doing the paint myself...

Comment

Jack has a valid point. and if you have any type of "Rattle Can" silicone hide it from yourself!!!! it will only bite you in the Butt later. BTDT. painting is enough of a crap shoot without it. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                X