Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wiring help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ignition: wiring help

    I picked up this engine from a 63 lark. the previous owner said he had someone convert it to electronic ignition. its in my 63 wagon now i was wondering if anyone has done something similar if so could you give any advice on how to wire it up.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_135057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1758233Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_135303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1758234

  • #2
    If its an after market system, you'll need to go online with the brand and model to find a wiring schematic.
    BTW, how on earth did that engine get painted Dodge Red???? Where's the yellow valve cover???? Have you no shame???? Just kidding, of course.
    sals54

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the Forum, José.
      As far as I can see, the yellow box looks like the one I have one my car. It is there to assist ignition points by taking all the current when they are opened.
      Usually, there are four wires. One goes to earth and another one is feeded by + coming from the ignition switch. Then, you have a wire coming from the distributor, and another one going to the coil.
      It would help to have a look inside the dist to see if you still have points or not.
      Nice day to all.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Hint, that is a Chrysler Electronic Ignition control box.Grandson's 63 lark 259 was converted in the '90's and been going ever since. will dig out schematic later today. Luck Doofus

        Comment


        • #5
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Hint, that is a Chrysler Electronic Ignition control box.Grandson's 63 lark 259 was converted in the '90's and been going ever since. will dig out schematic later today. Luck Doofus
            Some of those Chrysler Corp electronic ignitions used a dual ballast resistor, and some used a single, as per the schematic posted by Christophe. So determine which model ignitor box the previous owner used, and get the appropriate wiring diagram. Also, when doing the install, run a new #14 wire from the "IGN" post on the ignition switch to the ballast resistor, and disconnect and tape off the existing pink resistor wire at each end.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Christophe my schematic is from '78 vintage w/dual resistor. temporarily down to one eye so you saved some blinking. wonder how it will be triggered, points or pickup coil? gutting a slant six dist might yield some needed parts.Luck cbass, Doofus

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by doofus View Post
                Thanks Christophe my schematic is from '78 vintage w/dual resistor. temporarily down to one eye so you saved some blinking. wonder how it will be triggered, points or pickup coil? gutting a slant six dist might yield some needed parts.Luck cbass, Doofus
                You're welcome Gérald. Once you've provided the réal name of this setup, it was easy.
                Nice day to all.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  If its an after market system, you'll need to go online with the brand and model to find a wiring schematic.
                  BTW, how on earth did that engine get painted Dodge Red???? Where's the yellow valve cover???? Have you no shame???? Just kidding, of course.
                  Oh its there hahahClick image for larger version

Name:	20180904_170435.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1723603 the PO had it in a red lark sedan
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by christophe View Post
                    You're welcome Gérald. Once you've provided the réal name of this setup, it was easy.
                    Nice day to all.
                    Thank you both!! just need to pick up a ballast resistor and i should be set. Also i was able to make contact with the PO of the motor and he was able to find this thought id share Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_165946.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1723604

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X