Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Electric Fuel pump for priming needs ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One opinion: Electric fuel pumps are miles netter than mechanical. Turn the ign on, and they pump fuel. No more dry fuel lines and carbs. No more failed diaphragms. No more fuel leakage into the oil. No more vapor lock. And you can buy a decent quality one fore $20.

Mechanical fuel pumps belong in the dust bin along with points/coil ign, vacuum wipers, tube radios, tubed bias-ply tires, plain steel exhausts, and all the other stuff that fails every few years.

I know - DUCK! INCOMING!

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      ... I know - DUCK! INCOMING!
      Actually I'll help hoist the flag. It is very little cost to make the irregular driving periods of an old car more pleasant. I use the cheap cube type (looks like a transformer with an inlet/outlet). They need not be left on after priming if you have a mechanical also installed as they seem to "pass through" fuel just fine. Somewhat related I have a '73 Pinto with an '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe engine equipped with multi port injection from the factory. The car sits for great lengths of time. A couple of 2 second key-"On's" and the car NEVER fails to start - immediately.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I do not think it was mentioned, but you really want a self priming pump. A vane type will work just fine as long as there is gas in the line but if it sits a long time or you run out of gas, you will need to prime it. That kinda negates the whole point of having one. I purchased Bosch pumps for a carbureted mid 80's Honda for less than $40 last year. They are mechanical, pressure is perfect, ,and they self-prime. They should even last a while (or am I being irrationally optimistic again?) Toggle switch to acc terminal on nearby switch. I fused it but.. If you use a momentary switchn you will be really annoyed when your mechanical pump goes out.!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          I do not think it was mentioned, but you really want a self priming pump. A vane type will work just fine as long as there is gas in the line but if it sits a long time or you run out of gas, you will need to prime it. That kinda negates the whole point of having one. I purchased Bosch pumps for a carbureted mid 80's Honda for less than $40 last year. They are mechanical, pressure is perfect, ,and they self-prime. They should even last a while (or am I being irrationally optimistic again?) Toggle switch to acc terminal on nearby switch. I fused it but.. If you use a momentary switchn you will be really annoyed when your mechanical pump goes out.!
          Bosch 69562

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-69562-E.../dp/B000BZIDLC

I've used them on everything from a Studebaker V8 to a Honda Goldwing. Hasn't failed me yet!

Comment

Originally posted by El Presidenté View Post
            Bosch 69562

I've used them on everything from a Studebaker V8 to a Honda Goldwing. Hasn't failed me yet!
            I searched and searched but could not find out what the output fuel pressure is on the Bosch 69562 fuel pump that was recommended about a month ago. I did find that this Bosch pump fits a 1983 Honda Accord, but I know nothing about Hondas. Looks like a nice and inexpensive modern fuel pump, but I need to be certain it will work with my 63 Avanti. Thanks for any help on my question.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by El Presidenté View Post

Bosch 69562 fuel pump recommendation

Question: Does anyone know what the output pressure is for this electric Bosch pump?? I am hoping that it is in the 3-4 psi range for my Edelbrock carburetor.
              Last edited by Mangusta1969; 03-27-2019, 04:11 PM. Reason: clean up a typo

Comment

If you buy Auto Parts from a Auto Parts Store or Company, you usually can get AUTOMOTIVE type questions answered and FULL item Details in the Ad or their "help" line, but you buy it through or from an online "Bookseller" you get no info.

I saw that tiny fuel line tube that looks like a 1/4" and realized it could be for a Honda or a John Deer Mower!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just got another Toyota pump (hep-02a) , $7.69 delivered to my door and it came in three days. Thought I might try it alone and remove the mechanical pump. I know it works for priming, been using one for years. Figured a spare might be good to have... just in case.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X