Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Paxton Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagandaga
    replied
    Private message sent.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    If you want to build it with the 63/64 Lark or Hawk R-2 water manifold be prepared to lay out large buckets of cash.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
    When I had the 289 motor rebuilt on my '64 Daytona, it was bored .0060 over and rebuilt using an R1 cam. Re-calculating using the new bore and stroke, I came up with about 299 cubic inches.

My question is....would it still be possible to add a Paxton supercharger to the car? If I did, would it effectively become an R2? I believe they used Paxton SN 60 blowers back in the day. Are they still available along with all the other parts I'd need? If so, where might I find them what would a project like that cost?

Am I crazy to even consider it? Any disadvantages or known issues with supercharged cars? Any advice/insight appreciated. Thanks.
    You didn't provide the critical piece of information - compression ratio.

A 299" built with flat top pistons and having had the block and heads surfaced and thin head gaskets could have 11:1 compression ratio; too high for today's fuels, even normally aspirated.

OTOH, a 299" built with dished pistons, no surfacing, thick head gaskets, could have 8.5:1 compression and would work well with an R1 cam and a supercharger.

As previously mentioned by Gary, finding all the pulleys, brackets, carb hat and a supercharger is not as inexpensive as it once was; figure a minimum of $1500, unless one gets a steal deal. Try to buy it all at once, as getting it one piece at a time can really push up the price.

FWIW, I've got a new Nimesh-built high output supercharger (but none of the ancillary parts) I'm going to be selling. Should you decide to go that way, PM me.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
    When I had the 289 motor rebuilt on my '64 Daytona, it was bored .0060 over and rebuilt using an R1 cam. Re-calculating using the new bore and stroke, I came up with about 299 cubic inches.

My question is....would it still be possible to add a Paxton supercharger to the car? If I did, would it effectively become an R2? I believe they used Paxton SN 60 blowers back in the day. Are they still available along with all the other parts I'd need? If so, where might I find them what would a project like that cost?

Am I crazy to even consider it? Any disadvantages or known issues with supercharged cars?

Any advice/insight appreciated. Thanks.
    I believe that you mean that it was bored 0.060 over (60 thousandths, not 60 ten thousandths).

IMO, adding S/C would be more problems, including finding everything, and cost than what it would be worth, unless you are just interested in the visual effect when you open your hood.
    Last edited by studegary; 07-05-2018, 06:30 PM. Reason: t to n

Leave a comment:

• David Daoust
    started a topic Engine: Paxton Supercharger

Paxton Supercharger

Am I crazy to even consider it? Any disadvantages or known issues with supercharged cars?

Any advice/insight appreciated. Thanks.
Working...
X