Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Why does heat do this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Why does heat do this???

For quite some time I find that after a run on the highway when the engine is hot (duh) and I come to a light or stop for slow moving local traffic the curb idle drops very low to the point of stalling many times. When cold the curb idle is spot on and will stay that way.....until the car is driven and the engine gets to operating temps.....and the car has to stop.

I can get a perfect 650 idle, but just do not want to adjust the curb idle up to an artificial point to over compensate for when the engine reaches operating temps.

Any ideas???

What year, model, and engine, and what gas are you using?
    Ethanol gives me plenty of problems, which the better gas without corn usually doesn't. All gas boils much easier than the good gas of the 60's and 70's, so try to keep the fuel lines and carb as cool as possible. I made a heat shield for my 50 Champion, which helped a lot. I also added white plastic wire wrap over the fuel line from the pump to the carb. So far my 50 Land Cruiser is doing fine with no added shields.

Comment

Champ, R-1 engine, I use 93 Sunoco, to which I add TEL in qt containers (till the stocks are depleted) Candidly the car runs better in the cold winter than in the heat of the summer. I have several heat gaskets under my AFB carb, and removed the heat rise from the top of the exhaust manifold.
      Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      What year, model, and engine, and what gas are you using?
      Ethanol gives me plenty of problems, which the better gas without corn usually doesn't. All gas boils much easier than the good gas of the 60's and 70's, so try to keep the fuel lines and carb as cool as possible. I made a heat shield for my 50 Champion, which helped a lot. I also added white plastic wire wrap over the fuel line from the pump to the carb. So far my 50 Land Cruiser is doing fine with no added shields.

Comment

Since the fuel system is plainly telling it doesn't like heat, but idles well when cold, consider blocking the intake manifold heat riser and removing the valve from the exhaust manifold.

For good measure, I add a cold air intake to the air filter.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

(For AFB equipped Stude and McKinnon engines)

Just installed one of these on an a/c equipped Avanti for a guy.
          He loves the difference it made. (That and the gutted heat riser valve)

Edelbrock p/n# 8059

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jack I removed the heat riser, and inserted a block off spacer.
            Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Since the fuel system is plainly telling it doesn't like heat, but idles well when cold, consider blocking the intake manifold heat riser and removing the valve from the exhaust manifold.

For good measure, I add a cold air intake to the air filter.

jack vines

Comment

Jeff me stupid.....when I swapped in a new Edelbrock 4103 (500 cfm) I not only cut off the bottom of the linkage to allow no interference with the intake runner, but I removed the top round hole portion of the linkage.....if I install this kit, I was told by the Edelbrock tech that the solenoid needs that portion (round hole portion) to hit up against.....now I have to figure how to fashion some kind of thin metal piece to allow the solenoid to hit up against.
              Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              (For AFB equipped Stude and McKinnon engines)

Just installed one of these on an a/c equipped Avanti for a guy.
              He loves the difference it made. (That and the gutted heat riser valve)

Edelbrock p/n# 8059

Comment

Look here:Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock kicker.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1721261

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock kicker.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1721262 Look at this

Comment

Informative. This gadget appears to take the place of the dashpot. Bet it works.

Comment

So you removed the Choke heater Tube, but the exhaust is still heating the Carb. through the heat port.
                    Now the Choke and fast idle cam do not work without Choke heat.

Do you have A/C on your Truck?
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-03-2018, 11:04 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes the tube is gone, but the carb has electric choke The heat riser has been removed and in it's place is a hollow spacer. I put several anti heat spacers under the carb. Yes the car has a/c
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      So you removed the Choke heater Tube, but the exhaust is still heating the Carb. through the heat port.
                      Now the Choke and fast idle cam do not work without Choke heat.

Do you have A/C on your Truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        Informative. This gadget appears to take the place of the dashpot. Bet it works.
                        I only think of a dashpot as the device that slows the closing of the throttle for the last 1/4" or so of the arm.
                        There is also the vacuum diaphram used to raise the idle speed of an engine.

Comment

WOW....$165..

Two points to offer...
                          A) http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v24.../20090526.html - This dashpot was similar to the original / Bought it from Jon Myers in 2008 for around $50.00 / Works fine. / The car has an original A/C unit

b) That large round hole in the linkage was where this forum stated somewhere a while back, that was the preferred place to install the throttle rod. Summit has an insert that makes this easy... / I have no issues with my cars driveability
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

This was not the a/c speed-up assembly idle kit that Studebaker came out with for Avantis, (p/n 1563542) I had that and tossed it in the garbage because it never worked properly, and would never have worked with the Edelbrock clone carb.
                            Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                            WOW....$165..

Two points to offer...
                            A) http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v24.../20090526.html - This dashpot was similar to the original / Bought it from Jon Myers in 2008 for around $50.00 / Works fine. / The car has an original A/C unit

b) That large round hole in the linkage was where this forum stated somewhere a while back, that was the preferred place to install the throttle rod. Summit has an insert that makes this easy... / I have no issues with my cars driveability
                            Last edited by Hawklover; 07-04-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I would add a fuel return line. I have doen this wqhen needed and it makes a big difference.
                              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                              61 V8 Tcab
                              63 Tcab 20R powered
                              55 Commander Wagon
                              54 Champion Wagon
                              46 Gibson Model A
                              50 JD MC
                              45 Agricat
                              67 Triumph T100
                              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment