No announcement yet.

Fuel pump cam lever pin not moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pump cam lever pin not moving...

Very generous friend has furnished me with a used Carter 2573-S fuel pump to get the Champ back on the road. Having some trouble with the cam lever pin not wanting to come out - but I don't want to talk about twisting off three of the main body screws...

According to the shop manual, you removed the pin plug from the housing (done), removed cam return spring (piece of cake). It then states to remove the pin retainer (spring clip) and remove the pin from the housing. My cam lever does not have this pin retainer. Shop manual shows the retainer over the pin in the middle of the pin behind the return spring. My rebuild kit that arrived today had a replacement pin with a groove in the middle and the retainer clip to go there.

My thought was maybe this particular pump did not have the retainer and getting the pin out is a simple matter of tapping it out the large end where the lead plug was located. Smallest thing I have is a rat tailed file that will fit in the small hole side of the housing to tap the pin out. At this point, I have hit that end of the pin a dozen times and only managed to start to mushroom the square end of the file...keep running that saying though my mind about a 20 minute job is something getting broken away from turning into a three day ordeal...

Any insight? And thanks ahead.

Why not just leave it alone? You can rebuild the diaphragm part of the pump and leave the lever pin in place.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I rebuilt a V8 pump a couple of weeks ago that was stubborn like that one. I put the pump housing in a vice. Then clamped a small pair of vise grips on the pin, inside of the arm, and used a hammer to tap on the vice grips. Eventually it moved and I was able to “walk” the pin out.

Comment

A Carter 2573-S sure does not ring a bell as being for a Stude. V8, is it for a SIX!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          A Carter 2573-S sure does not ring a bell as being for a Stude. V8, is it for a SIX!
          V8 pump with the glass bowl - uses the same rebuild kit as 57 and 58 Golden Hawks.

Need to probably get the correct tools and get it out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I rebuilt a V8 pump a couple of weeks ago that was stubborn like that one. I put the pump housing in a vice. Then clamped a small pair of vise grips on the pin, inside of the arm, and used a hammer to tap on the vice grips. Eventually it moved and I was able to “walk” the pin out.
            Roy - no way to get the end of the diaphragm assembly post off the fork in the arm - not enough room in top of housing.

Thanks Matt - that did the trick - was worried the vice grips might make some burs on the pin but it is a lot harder than the rest of the assembly - now for the removal of the broken screws...uhh.

Comment

Working...
            X