Need Info on 1965 Drive train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Need Info on 1965 Drive train

Hi, I may have posted this before, but here I go again. I have a '65 Wagonaire that originally had a 3 on the tree with o/d. That system was removed in favor of putting a Chevy bell housing, and Chevy transmission thus converting it to a floor shift.
    So my question is, what do I need to return the drive back to original?
    Will a bell housing from previous years Larks fit on the Chevy 283? Or is the '65 & '66 bell housing different?
    In essence, I figure that I will need every thing from the engine back, including the fly wheel, and possibly the drive shaft.
    Would also need the shifting linkage. The steering column with its shifting mechanisim was left intact. A o/d cable would be needed too.

The bellhousing you need was a special casting used mainly by the Checker Cab Co, when they were using Studebaker frames. They were also on RQA Avantis (1966-70). Probably quite a rarity now..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

RAQ? I'm not familiar with that term.

Comment

The RQA is the first digits in the serial number of an Avanti II. It used a lot of old original Stude stuff. The bell housing is a Stude special casting and is not so easy to find. I appreciate that you want to convert BACK to original and I suppose finding the old original parts from your car isn't going to happen so be patient, keep a big bag of money handy and make all the right inquiries to the parts vendors, Studebaker Swap Pages and wherever else you can think of to find said scarce parts. Good luck.

Comment

You could also look for a Chevy Saginaw 3-speed with overdrive, install that, and few people would know it was not stock. And I think some of those Saginaws had syncro low gear, too. I see the odd one at swap meets. The OD parts are standard Warner gear stuff, so the Studebaker OD accessories will work.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            The bellhousing you need was a special casting used mainly by the Checker Cab Co, when they were using Studebaker frames.
            I had never heard before that Checkers used Studebaker frames. Details please.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              I had never heard before that Checkers used Studebaker frames. Details please.
              Yes, this statement has to be straightened out. It wasn't frames they used, rather the PowerShift (type) or FMX type transmissions in 65/66. They were using the GM 327/350 engines in their cabs. I have a 70 RQA and the original drivetrain was an FMX with a Powershift quadrant behind a 350/300 SBC.
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

65 stude drive train

Thanks! That's a good idea. But what do I do for shift linkage?

Comment

Just modify your Borg Warner 3 Speed O.D. Shift Levers to fit the GM Trans. if you can cut and weld, if not they have to be made.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Boy you guys are so wrong. 65 Studebakers used a standard GM bell housing with an adapter plate for the Borgwarner manual transmission. The BW transmission had a special input shaft with the GM size pilot and clutch splines. If I was you I would look for GM five speed transmission to get Overdrive or a Gm three speed OD. The five speed would be the easiest as you do not need the clutch hydraulics so you have a wider selection of years for the transmission. I converted my 65 to a Saginaw three speed back back in 1982. Still have the adapter sitting in my Studebaker stuff.
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Thanks kid. I will add it to my list of possiblities.

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
                        Boy you guys are so wrong. 65 Studebakers used a standard GM bell housing with an adapter plate for the Borgwarner manual transmission. The BW transmission had a special input shaft with the GM size pilot and clutch splines.
                        Studebakerkid, I agree that an adapter was used on the tranny end of the bellhousing to adapt the T96 transmission to the 194 GM six cylinder. But this thread is discussing a 283 V8. I don't believe there was any adapter used for the V8s. If you could provide the Studebaker part number for an adapter that adapts a T86 transmission to a Chevy bellhousing, I would appreciate that.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

R1lark I can take a photo of it if you want because I was looking at the adapter plate a couple hours ago just before i put a OHV head, rockers, cover and distrib on my elevator. The adapter plate will do you no good without the modified input shaft that was made for this specific application and I converted the input shaft from my old transmission into a clutch alignment tool more then three deckades ago so it will not work as an input shaft.

1563831 is the part number on the adapter plate.
                          Last edited by studebakerkid; 06-28-2018, 10:35 PM.
                          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                          61 V8 Tcab
                          63 Tcab 20R powered
                          55 Commander Wagon
                          54 Champion Wagon
                          46 Gibson Model A
                          50 JD MC
                          45 Agricat
                          67 Triumph T100
                          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment