• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWChamp
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    You can keep your Studebaker rims and get a set of these:

And if you figure you will replace five radial tires every six years, the price of these type of tires is probably cheaper. Tire shown was bought in 2000, has no weathering cracks, and the whitewall is still in really good shape...
    Are your tires radial or bias ply?
    What size and how much did they cost?
    They would look good on my 50 L/C

Leave a comment:

• 63looks59
    replied
    anybody consider a 225 R60 15---- you get a lil extra width ( 8.9) yet you see a little more of the tire or thin white wall ??

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
    Are you using Ford or original Studebaker lug nuts?
    FORD .....kept them when I took the wheels off the Crown Vic at the wrecker.

We've got the same wheels and tires ,(no white wall) on our '53 coupe too, they fit perfect on both. Look better on the GT though, must be the white wall.
    Last edited by bensherb; 06-05-2018, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MontrealHawkGT62
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]72931[/ATTACH] My '62 GT, Goodyear 215-70-15 ($50 ea. at Wal-Mart) on '93-'97 Ford Crown Victoria 15"x6.5" wheels ($8 ea. at wrecking yard) with 1" Port-o-wall white walls ($20 all 4 on ebay).

The stock factory wheels are not recomended for use with radial tires. They tend to crack. Use a later wheel designed for radial tires.
    Are you using Ford or original Studebaker lug nuts?

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    You can keep your Studebaker rims and get a set of these:

And if you figure you will replace five radial tires every six years, the price of these type of tires is probably cheaper. Tire shown was bought in 2000, has no weathering cracks, and the whitewall is still in really good shape...
    Last edited by 62champ; 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    I have been successful in using Ford Ranger 15" standard steel wheels and the Ford lug nuts.
    I prefer the 215 75R 15 Cooper or Hankook whitewall tire over the 205's due to the diameter being closer to the original tires. Tires are reasonably priced, look good and handle well. Cooper's are even made in the good ole USA.
    The other advantage for me is that when the tires get a few years on the Studebaker, I can put wheels and all onto my trusty 2001 Ford Ranger and run some rubber off the tires before they go bad by age.
    A set of used Ranger wheels can usually be found for less then $100. Just don't get the optional spoke wheels because the wheel lip won't accept a wheel disc.
    That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.......................

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    If you are staying with 15", I have successfully run P235/70r15's (sadly no whitewalls) on my '63 GT for over 35 years and they fit a 7" wide wheel perfectly and I think suit the car. I always feel that GT's in particular should have a decent size of sidewall to look and handle right. <O.D= 28.0" Section Width= 9.4 on a 7" rim width Load Index= 1896 lbs>. If you were to run a 65 series the only large popular size is 215/65r15, the original optional Camaro/Firebird fitment which is only 26" tall and your load index drops to 1510 lbs. To each their own.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    This is a 235-55-17 on a 7.5" wide wheel with 5.25" of backspace. It's the same diameter as a 205-75-15 but 1.18" wider.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 GT with Mustang wheels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1720953

A 15" tire with a 65 aspect ratio would need to be at least a 235 in order for the diameter to even be near stock and keep the speedo somewhere near close to correct.
    Last edited by bensherb; 06-04-2018, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    A Rare/Oddball Profile like that would make it Hard to find proper Whitewalls and smaller sizes like P205, plus fewer Brand and Tire Model choices, not to mention failed tire replacement possibilities in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• 63looks59
    replied
    anyone consider a P2xx 65R15

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Would 205/75/15 tires fit on these crown victoria rims?
    Of course they would, they are made for P205X75R15, P215X70R15 etc. modern RADIAL Tires.

However, 205's will fit better if you do not get crazy with the width.
    Use EARLIER Ford 5 1/2, or 6 Inch Wheels not too Late; 7 Inch ones!

Rear Wheel Drive Chrysler Wheels also work fine, both with the Larger 13/16" Wrench Size Lug Nuts not 3/4" Stude. though.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MontrealHawkGT62
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    Yes 6.5" wide, standard Ford /chrysler/ Studebaker and many others bolt pattern 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm).
    My wheels were black, I stripped and painted them with an "Ivory" paint from Ace Hardware. I can't remember if it was their store brand or Dupont Krylon. I tries several different paints this matched the original wheels perfect. Ford Wimbleton White is too yellow.

I've never had any problems with Port-o-walls on any tire either bias or radial and have had them on a few cars. given the option I'd rather have actual white wall tires but they are pricey. The tires Rich mentioned arent too bad but they only com with a .75" white wall. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...BoCDHIQAvD_BwE

The 215-70-15 on the 6.5" wid wheels fit perfect under the GT like they are what it should have come from the factory with.
    Would 205/75/15 tires fit on these crown victoria rims?

Leave a comment:

• Never Enough Studebakers
    replied
    I just bought off of the Walmart website, four P205/70R-15 Mastercraft tires. The photo on the website shows a white letter tire, but thats not what arrived. Mine are all black. I just needed a cheap tire to get the ole girl on the road. I am very happy with them so far. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercra...70R15/47406030 Side Note*** I am running a late 70's Ford aluminum wheel.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    You got a good deal on your portawalls. How long ago you bought them? The crown Victoria rims were a good deal. I bought 4 used one at the scrapyard for 20$ CDN a piece. You mentioned the size as being 15 inchesby 6.5. I reckon that 6.5 inches is the width of the rim, right? Bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5 ? Most probably they will be black and I wonder if I should not paint them white. Car is off white and I will order white portawalls. Overkill?
    Yes 6.5" wide, standard Ford /chrysler/ Studebaker and many others bolt pattern 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm).
    My wheels were black, I stripped and painted them with an "Ivory" paint from Ace Hardware. I can't remember if it was their store brand or Dupont Krylon. I tries several different paints this matched the original wheels perfect. Ford Wimbleton White is too yellow.

I've never had any problems with Port-o-walls on any tire either bias or radial and have had them on a few cars. given the option I'd rather have actual white wall tires but they are pricey. The tires Rich mentioned arent too bad but they only com with a .75" white wall. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...BoCDHIQAvD_BwE

The 215-70-15 on the 6.5" wid wheels fit perfect under the GT like they are what it should have come from the factory with.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Keep in mind also, even though 1962 was the Last Year for Wide Whitewall Tires, the 1963 to 1966 Design Narrow White Walls look GREAT and do NOT have to be bought from a "Classic Tire Co." for BIG BUCKS!

Cooper Trendsetter Tires:
    P205/75R15 97S 440 A B STD WSW 5 - 7 5.5 8 26.97 5.12 20 1598 10.5
    P215/75R15 100S 440 A B STD WSW 5.5 - 7 6 8.4 27.56 5.39 22 1742 10.5

You REALLY do NOT want to have Portawalls grinding and flopping on your sidewalls every time the Radial Tire sidewall flexes as it flattens on the bottom and becomes round everywhere else! They WILL Kill the tires!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-03-2018, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X