Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

aluminum flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum flywheels

I am going to convert my 63 avanti R1 from automatic to a factory 4 speed once I find the parts to do it. The boy racer in me is wanting to install an aluminum flywheel at the same time for the quicker revs they produce. Anybody used one this forum? I am wondering what this might do to the drivability of the car? [?]

IMHO you should do it if you think you want to. The factory Stude flywheel is way too heavy, and even with the aluminum flywheel there's enough inertia there that a) you still won't have to really rev the engine up to keep from stalling at a dead stop (unless you have 3.31's or similar) b) it still won't rev up as quickly as a race engine.

Only caveat is that there is no steel insert where the flywheel bolts to the crank flange, so I would use hardened flat washer and Loctite- or I think what I did on my car was to actually use the steel reinforcement ring used on an automatic's flexplate. I just didn't want lock washers digging into my aluminum flywheel.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The idle may "lope" a little more (that's a good thing [8D])

Like Nate says, launching could be a little tougher...especially if you plan to do any drag racing (possible bog with not enough throttle...too much wheel spin with enough throttle)

I had one in my Chevy powered '54. I loved the quick revs and loping idle and put up with the less than stellar 60' times.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Just remember to get the correct length flywheel bolts and install them when you have the pan and rear main cap off.
        Otherwise you will end up having to remove the stock bolts, and then drill and tap the crank end for rear install bolts.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by stroker70

I am going to convert my 63 avanti R1 from automatic to a factory 4 speed once I find the parts to do it. The boy racer in me is wanting to install an aluminum flywheel at the same time for the quicker revs they produce. Anybody used one this forum? I am wondering what this might do to the drivability of the car? [?]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm using one that Ted sold. Made by Fidanza with no problems. Am also using a Centerforce Dual/friction clutch. Which makes for a lot less wear and tear on your leg and Linkages.

Comment

Karl, do you mind sharing the part numbers for the centerforce clutch assembly? I would not want to use the long style pressure plate because of the hard pedal they produce.

Comment

I have one of Ted's aluminum flywheels in my R1 4 speed powered 54 Coupe. I love the difference it gave the car. The cam lope is more pronounced. The quicker revs are fun. But I don't race, so I can't give any decent comparison from stock. I do like the sound and feel of it though.
              sals54

Comment

GM unit 1 1/8 x 10 1/2 CTF-DF271675 SUMMIT $279.95
                You will need to grind the two Large bumps flush.But thats all.

Comment

I use an aluminum flywheel on my R1 Lark. I drag race it and my 60' time are better. I have used both street tires and drag radials. You'll love it and be safer.
                  Richard
                  The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

If you are not going to race it, you might consider turning the cast iron flywheel down. If you face off the front and then turn the flywheel around in the lathe, you can turn most of the weight of the flywheel off from the back. Leave the center where it bolts to the crank at full thickness, and the outer edge by the ring gear thick about an inch or so in. Leave plenty of meat where the clutch screws go in. Use big radiuses. You can remove over half the total weight and less cost than the aluminum one. Much the same benefits. It does take a big lathe, though. I used one of the big Swazey's at work.

Comment

I used a light weight nodular iron GM flywheel in my old 81 ElCamino 4 speed.I loved the way it would RPM thru the gears,but the launch was a PIA. It had a 342 posi with South Side Machine lift bars,and it would hook good and bog unless broke the tires loose.It is a trade off.I spent some $$s on it,but I really did not think it was enough of a difference after the fact to justify the cost.The motor was a 200 horse 305 out of a 86 Monte SS,with an Edelbrock intake,and the full Monte SS high flow cat and exhaust.It may have been different with more motor,but I was trying to make up for smaller cubes by getting the motor into the power band quicker.Should have built a 350 torque monster,but the great deal on the 40,000 mile wrecked Monte SS ,($500 for anything I wanted off of it) was too good to pass up.This was the SECOND car this guy slid under a semi trailer!!! The first one killed his wife.He survived both!! This world is full of STRANGE happenings!!!! I ended up putting a TH350 in the Elco,since our car club did a lot of local parades,and I had clutch foot,and got tired of smoking clutches between the parades and beating on it at the track and street.

Comment

Hi, Champ,

There is no free horsepower and flywheels are the purest form of tradeoff. Give on one end to get on the other. Your experience is the same as mine has been. If a low-horsepower car has street gears and enough tire to hook, it then it usually needs a heavy flywheel to pull a good 60-foot time. Your statement that a light flywheel has to slip the clutch disc more to pull away on the street is also what I have experienced. The flywheel is stored energy. Less weight means less stored energy to pull off the line. The upside is there is less inertia resisting acceleration once it is moving. For road-racing, lighter is always better. For any other use, it is like trying to make a string longer by cutting a piece off one end and tying it on the other. Somewhere, something is lost in the process.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7rq...eature=related
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

What's to forgive? doesn't look like you had any issues hooking up, anyway. I suspect that there's enough rotating mass with just the Stude crank that the flywheel can be as light as practical/safe without causing too many issues.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X