Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

vacuum advance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: vacuum advance?

I have a 54 3R5 truck with a 259 V8 for the past few weeks it has been giving me trouble. In put a vacuum test on it and it showed 15 Hg which I believe is late timing. Today I put new plugs in it, timed the ignition and it dropped to 15Hg's again. Next I tried advancing the timing a little at a time and it went up to 19 Hg,s and dropped back to 15 Hg's. Could the vacuum advance be causing the problem? Thanks

Have you put a vacuum pump on the vacuum advance unit and looked with a timing light to see if the vacuum advance is working?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

not as of yet, needed to put it up for the night and help the wife. I will try in the AM.

Comment

try plugging the vacuum line to the advance unit. if vacuum changes there is your problem. Luck Doofus

Comment

tried plugging the line and nothing changed. Did another vacuum test after trying to reset the timing and it went up to 16hg's any suggestions?

Comment

Yeah, try the propane/Mapp gas trick to see if you've got a carb/intake leak.

Comment

Have you adjusted the valves lately? Luck Doofus

Comment

I have not heard any valve tapping but will try the propane and then take a look at the valves. It might take a couple of days because other things need to be down first. thanks

Comment

Have you tried adjusting idle screws. A poorly adjusted carb will affect vacuum at idle.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Well I found the problem ,after looking at other things I decided to change the distributor cap with an spare that I had. The 2 nuts that attach the pick up coil to were no where to be seen and it was floating loose. I will pull the distributor in the morning and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks for all the input and help.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08681.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1720876My 259 idles about 19 inches

Comment

Working...
                      X