Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Parking Brake Handle Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Parking Brake Handle Replacement

The parking brake handle in our Lark is starting to fail. One side bends when pulled and will probably break. Never having replaced one of these, I have a few questions:

-How do you remove the pin holding it in place?
    -Do you have to remove the complete assembly to accomplish this? I probably should anyway as it needs to be cleaned and lubricated.
    -I see the part number for this is 1554483. Does this include the pin?
    -Are these handles reproductions? If not, will they fail in the near future?

In advance, I thank you for your help with this.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

The plastic handle is injection molded over a die cast zinc piece. I take a hack saw blade and cut the plastic so that it can be removed from the zinc base. Then you can pull the pin out and remove the zinc part. This can all be done without removing the handle assembly from the car. Install the new handle, using channel lock pliers to press the pin.
    The “Handle and Pin kit” seems to be old stock, but I have never had issues with a replaced handle.
    As a parts dealer, I stock these and sell them once in a while. Actually an easy fix.

Comment

Thanks for the response and information. It is a great help.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champ,
      \'50 Starlight Champ,
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

This is super helpful: I have a new handle (my current one is broken in half), and now I know how to replace it!

Comment

You will be looking for this:

Comment

I stock these kits N.O.S. for $16.00 and $4.00 shipping.
            Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com
            815 212 2389 text

Comment

Once handle is replaced you might want to service the whole emergency brake system so you dont have to tug so hard on that NOS handle. watch the pawl on the shaft, they have been known to cause problems for the installer. Luck Doofus

Comment

Copy that.
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champ,
                \'50 Starlight Champ,
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Studebaker also supplied the Handle & Plunger assembly and if yours is worn or looking kind of shabby it's another option to just replacing the handle.

For the Larks they came in two varieties, 1548704 for 1959-1961 and 1555606 for 1962-64. They will interchange, the major difference is the earlier one had the pined handle the later one did not. 1555606 is shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebrakehandle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1720815
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                  X