Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Seeking parts for 2R5 - 1951

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Seeking parts for 2R5 - 1951

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a few parts for my '51 2R5. One is 'easy' and the others are hard to find. Can you help me? Here's what I'm looking for:

1) heat control valve (that threads into the top of the engine)

2) INTERIOR mirror and mirror bracket (for a two-part windshield)

3) Rear bumper and brackets (or a very close replica?)

4) ORIGINAL right rear (passenger side) tail light assembly

I drove 5-1/2 hours to South Bend to my first Studebaker swap meet, certain I would find these parts, or at least one or two of them. I stayed all three days and I struck out fantastically and I came home with no parts whatsoever. An expensive road trip to say the least.

If any of you guys can point me to any or all of these parts I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks for your replies.

Mark in Ohio
    Attached Files

answers...
    1.....studebaker international
    2.....I'd like one too
    3.....Good luck
    4.....only one light required by law back then....just get another bracket and light from S.I. and you're good...

Nice truck....love the door art.

Comment

The interior mirror and arm are same ones used on contemporaneous Stude cars. It's only the bracket that's unique to the trucks. Whole assemblies come up on eBay now and then. The original NACO tail lamps were pretty much junk -- the little gaskets were cork and fell apart or didn't fit. The lamps usually rusted before the truck even got out of the showroom, so they're not easy to find. The Jeep/SI repros are better quality. But Bob Kapteyn might have some originals.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-21-2018, 06:19 AM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Rear bumpers are around, but you have to be patient to find a decent one. Some people use the early Ford Bronco reproductions. They look very close and most people will not be able to tell the difference.
        Attached Files
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks~

Studebaker International is my 'go to' place but they don't have all these parts. They do have the reproduction tail light and bracket but they don't have the interior mirror/bracket or the rear bumper. I'd like to go with all original parts... if I can find them and if I can afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            The interior mirror and arm are same ones used on contemporaneous Stude cars. It's only the bracket that's unique to the trucks. Whole assemblies come up on eBay now and then. The original NACO tail lamps were pretty much junk -- the little gaskets were cork and fell apart or didn't fit. The lamps usually rusted before the truck even got out of the showroom, so they're not easy to find. The Jeep/SI repros are better quality. But Bob Kapteyn might have some originals.

Thanks Skip. Who is Bob Kapteyn and how do I contact him?

Comment

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
              answers...
              1.....studebaker international
              2.....I'd like one too
              3.....Good luck
              4.....only one light required by law back then....just get another bracket and light from S.I. and you're good...

Thanks~

Studebaker International is my 'go to' place but they don't have all these parts. They do have the (reproduction) tail light and bracket but they don't have the interior mirror/bracket or the rear bumper. I'd like to go with all original parts... if I can find them and if I can afford them.

Nice truck....love the door art.
              Thanks~

Studebaker International is my 'go to' place but they don't have all these parts. They do have the (reproduction) tail light and bracket but they don't have the interior mirror/bracket or the rear bumper. I'd like to go with all original parts... if I can find them and if I can afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Rear bumpers are around, but you have to be patient to find a decent one. Some people use the early Ford Bronco reproductions. They look very close and most people will not be able to tell the difference.
                Thanks '52 Fan,

The Bronco rear bumper looks like a possibility. What year is the yellow Bronco is the photo you posted?

Mark in Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by mkibler View Post
                  Thanks '52 Fan,

The Bronco rear bumper looks like a possibility. What year is the yellow Bronco is the photo you posted?

Mark in Ohio
                  I don't know. I just googled Ford Bronco. I see the painted ones are about $100.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by mkibler View Post
                    Thanks Skip. Who is Bob Kapteyn and how do I contact him?
                    He lives in Illinois and has a very large parts inventory. His email is:

studebaker at mac dot com
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      He lives in Illinois and has a very large parts inventory. His email is:

studebaker at mac dot com
                      Cool; thanks. I'll contact him. I have the front and back wire harnesses from SI and they'll be installed "in a few weeks."

Comment

Those Broncos ran from 1966-77.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                          Those Broncos ran from 1966-77.
                          Thanks Kurt. I'll see if I can track down a bumper. I have a lead for the original rear bumper brackets (but no bumper) but I haven't heard back from the guy yet...

Comment

Working...
                          X