Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Studebaker 289 Flight-O-Matic transmission cooling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1963 Studebaker 289 Flight-O-Matic transmission cooling...

Plain Jane 289 have cooling lines in 1963?

TIA

no lines. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

There is a Large Opening in the Right Side of the Converter Housing that MUST have the Two Baffles attached for Proper AIR Cooling.

H.D. Flight-O-Matics as used in Trucks, Zip Vans, Police, Taxi, Jet Thrust Avanti Engines, and also Power Shift Transmissions all DO have Oil Line provisions in the Trans., Cooling Lines, and an Oil Cooler in the Radiator bottom Tank.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks all. I will in all probability be looking for a HD Flight-O-Matic with the short tail stock.

Comment

The "Best" short tail H.D. is the Truck unit.
          You do have to convert from a Throttle Pressure ROD to a Vacuum Hose and Modulator Valve though, they have LOW Gear Start.
          StudeRich

Comment

Does anyone have photographs that show the correct installation of the baffles? The baffles were missing from my Lark when I bought it last summer. I bought a set from Mike Gahlbeck a few weeks ago. The parts manual shows them, but it's an exploded view and one of the baffles is not "attached" to the proper location on the bellhousing. I checked all the photographs in the transmission section of the shop manual, but did not see a good photo of the bottom right side.

Thank you for your help.
            Last edited by Mark L; 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM.
            Mark L

Comment

I do not have a sample to photo. The skinny one goes across the bottom, the one with the slotted hole goes on the right side, vertically.

Comment

Thanks. I sorta figured the long one went across the bottom based on the parts book. The one with the longer legs goes on the bottom right, but I wasn't sure about the orientation. I was going to just hold it in place to see which bolt holes line up with the holes in the plate.
                Mark L

Comment

Picture them scooping up the air and diverting it into the bell housing..

Comment

I was finally able to find a photograph in the shop manual, but it wasn't where I thought it would be. Since my Lark has the 259 V8, I was looking in the Flightomatic section for the 259. I decided to just flip through all the pages in the manual, on the off chance that a photograph for a different topic also captured the baffles. I found it in Group IV, Transmission-Flightomatic used with 170 OHV Engine, Maintenance and Adjustments, page 25, Figure 35. The photograph identifies the location of the transmission oil fill tube. I scanned an image of the figure and identified the 1549243 shield / baffle and the 1549244 shield / baffle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark_Group_IV_flightomatic_for_170 OHV_pg_25_Fig_35_marked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1725362
                    Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                      Plain Jane 289 have cooling lines in 1963?

TIA
                      If you consider a police package car to be "Plain Jane", then yes, otherwise probably no (taxis usually were not 289s, but possible). These are the most plain jane models that I could think of.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think James (GrumpyOne) should have said a "Std. 289", instead of "Plain Jane", because he was referring to the ENGINE not a Car without a "R Series" Engine.
                        What he said refers more to a Car than an Engine, then he would be Gary L. CORRECT!
                        StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                        X