Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    I use "Alaska Gold" Batteries, they are sold at my Local Auto Electric Shop that rebuilds my Starters and Generators.

They are supposed to have CAST Lead Plates instead of the pressed/stamped type that the cheapy's sold at Auto Parts Stores have.

These have a LOT of CA & CCA's for the Price.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    I will bet you if you look at your old battery that lasted a long time before you turn it in you will see made in the USA. your new one will most likely say made in China.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    My friendly local mechanic says they were great batteries, but, like every other company, they "outsourced" and they are not so hot any more. It is luck more than anything. Couple days ago had to replace the battery in my little tractor; it was 11 years old (New Holland) The counter guy sold me a new one that looked just like it for $100 and a guarantee that it would not last 11 years.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I see that if you buy the Interstate Powerfast Series, 530 CA, 18 Month, "cheapy" for only $100.00, you are NOT a CASO or even Economy Minded!

You are "Value Minded"!! The PC alternative!

DO NOT let ANY Batt. seller sell you the Group 34 "replacement" Batteries, they have the wrong HEIGHT to fit properly.

Does their Group 24 fit the Hold Down and Stock "J" Bolts etc. OK?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-12-2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    Often times the more CCA batteries have lead plates that reach down more in the case, which gives them more surface area.
    I think the deep cycle batteries have thicker plates.
    That may be accurate. However, that puts the plates closer to the settling lead particles sitting at the bottom ripe for creating shorts.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Often times the more CCA batteries have lead plates that reach down more in the case, which gives them more surface area.
    I think the deep cycle batteries have thicker plates.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Does it not stand to reason that if all battery cases are the same (for a given Group size) and one has more CCA's than the other that the spun lead matting is likely thinner (to increase surface area) in the higher (some call "stronger") CCA battery? And wouldn't that thinner spun lead matting be more suceptible to deteriration? So, while a higher CCA battery may be deemed "stronger" in a cranking sense, it might be weaker in a durability sense. I'd think a higher CCA and possibly more durable battery would be to move up to a 27 Group battery.

That said, I've seen the much hearld NAPA batteries die in 18 and 36 months and OEMs go 14 years in a few cases. So, in many cases it seems a crap shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Dwight, I have run a group 24 in my Avanti for 50 years.....that being said, you should (if you have not already) put a custom battery support under the battery tray.....it attaches to the frame, and takes the entire weight off the fiberglass inner fender!
    Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    A size 26 battery has the terminals in the right place and is a bit smaller (and lighter) than a size 24. That puts a bit less weight on the fiberglass battery tray of an Avanti. Modern batteries have more CCA's than batteries in 1963, so the size 26 should be adequate for our needs today in our Studebakers. Comments?
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    A size 26 battery has the terminals in the right place and is a bit smaller (and lighter) than a size 24. That puts a bit less weight on the fiberglass battery tray of an Avanti. Modern batteries have more CCA's than batteries in 1963, so the size 26 should be adequate for our needs today in our Studebakers. Comments?
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Frank DuVal
    replied
    I've had Kirkland batteries last for 5 to 6 years too! Of course I also had good luck with Walmart, Exide, Deka, Advance, Tractor Supply etc .....

BTW, Kirkland and Interstate do not make batteries. They are a marketing company. There are only 3 major lead acid battery manufacturers in the whole US. Good chance that Interstate battery was made by Johnson Controls or Exide Batteries.

Note there is a Studebaker connection at the start of Interstate Battery's distribution.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I believe all Interstate batteries are going to be black. They are touting it as their new look.
    I suspect it simply means they will be able to use all recycled plastics instead of the familiar green and translucent cases. Which, don't get me wrong, is fine with me. When it comes to plastics I think it should be 100% recycled, re-purposed or replaced.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    Costco used to sell Kirkland batteries. Whosever real brand they were is ?, but they didn't last 3 years. Earlier this year one of mine went ( I had 3). On return to Costco, they refunded me a LOT more than was paid for it and I was a bit thrilled and confused. That is, until going to the Battery store, found that the new batteries they sell are Interstate and to get a warranty replacement you had to pay a lot more for the same quality battery. Interstate are good batteries, I'm happy
    Costco here hasn't sold Kirkland labled batteries in many years, since then it's been Interstate. I've been buying batteries from them more than 20 years, and haven't had any problem with them lasting 5-6 years except that Prius. They've always been very good about exchanging good for bad with it.

Leave a comment:

• Blue 15G
    replied
    It never hurts to buy a stronger battery than stock, and Interstate batteries have always been excellent quality. Sounds like you did well.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    Not sure of the number, but the Interstate battery I bought at Costco for my Stude was all black and under $90. They gave me a new battery and 12 bucks back too. Oh, both of them were all black too.
    Costco used to sell Kirkland batteries. Whosever real brand they were is ?, but they didn't last 3 years. Earlier this year one of mine went ( I had 3). On return to Costco, they refunded me a LOT more than was paid for it and I was a bit thrilled and confused. That is, until going to the Battery store, found that the new batteries they sell are Interstate and to get a warranty replacement you had to pay a lot more for the same quality battery. Interstate are good batteries, I'm happy

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Not sure of the number, but the Interstate battery I bought at Costco for my Stude was all black and under $90. My Prius eats a 12V battery at least evey 2 years. The last one I got at Costco it killed in less than that. They gave me a new battery and 12 bucks back too. Oh, both of them were all black too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X