high tech distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: high tech distributor

While searching online for a cap and rotor for my obsolete Delco-Remy distributor I came across a company call Top Street Perfomance that manufactures a modern HEI unit which is a direct replacement for a V8 Studebakers. Cost 190.00 but I think its worth it.

Mike, I bought a Blue Maxx 99648K. It cost $139.00 and it arrived in 2 days, free shipping. It came in a Top Street Performance box.
    Last edited by Alan; 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Hawk View Post
      While searching online for a cap and rotor for my obsolete Delco-Remy distributor I came across a company call Top Street Perfomance that manufactures a modern HEI unit which is a direct replacement for a V8 Studebakers.
      The Delco is no more obsolete than any other part of a Studebaker. Your car, build it your way, but a modern HEI is a slippery slope. The carburetor is obsolete, so do we need an EFI? The drum brakes are obsolete, so modern discs. The steering is obsolete, so electric PS.

Been there, done that, trying to make an obsolete car modern and it still isn't as fast, smooth or quiet or cost-effective as a new Korean compact. Heckuva lot better looking though. These days, we'll never have a problem finding our Studebaker in a parking lot.

Cost 190.00 but I think its worth it.
      Agree, that's a bargain. We can't rebuild a Delco and convert to electronic trigger for Chinese money.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, agree, with upgrades it's a balancing act, as for how much is too much. Then too, different folks have different priorities. For example, some just wanna go fast. My priorities are: safety, reliability, comfort, economy, and appearance, in that order.

Comment

Don't forget that ignition troubles with your obsolete setup can be fixed in a jiffy with inexpensive parts, especially with a Delco window distributor.
          With an electronic setup you must have a second part at hand or call a tow.
          Nice week-end to all.
          sigpic

Comment

Just asking- is there any feedback pro or con regard the reliability of either of the HEI units mentioned?
            I totally agree with the simple logic from Christophe and deference to originality, but I have to admit- it's not a huge impost cost wise or labour wise to swap around, and I do tend to be a purist for originality. I'm a short little bloke and I remember doing some fancy acrobatics to adjust points in my 1961 Hawk waaay back. Now that I have another Hawk on the road soon and not having had to do points in decades- I'm spoiled by electronic systems (and bloody older!).
            Steve

Comment

I find it pretty easy to just pull my distributor out during the winter when not driving my Clipper check points and other parts of distributor and reinstall can check points at numerous high spots. Removing and replacing entire distributor is easy then check timing ready for another year. Also lube the the vacuum and centrifugal advance weights check the pigtail leads and connections.

Comment

Working...
              X