Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Anyone tried a power rack and pinion steering in a Champ Pick Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Anyone tried a power rack and pinion steering in a Champ Pick Up?

Thinking about a power rack and pinion steering on my Champ Pickup. Since it has a front straight axle, I'm thinking it may be doable. Anyone tried this before?
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I put a rack and pinion from a Jaguar XJ6 Series II in 55 Champion coupe about 25 years ago. Planning and making the mounts for this took awhile and the front sheetmetal was off the car and the engine(R-2) was in and out a couple of times. Ideally you would have to weld brackets to the I beam axle and how much welding could you do without causing a weakness in the axle. Maybe you could make a clamp type of mount or make a mount the bolts to the U bolts for the springs. Most pick ups today use racks I would look at the dimensions of them and start there , Ed

Comment

Favorite swap: 2003/2010 Grand Marquis & 2003/2012 Crown Victoria front suspension/rack & pinion steering in 1961/79 F100/150 2WD's.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
        Favorite swap: 2003/2010 Grand Marquis & 2003/2012 Crown Victoria front suspension/rack & pinion steering in 1961/79 F100/150 2WD's.
        That's what I was thinking too. Just swap the entire suspension for an independant suspension. I was thinking perhaps 90's Thunderbird. Heck, swap in the IRS too!
        sigpic

Comment

I agree - just swap in a front crossmember from something that has better suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. My fabricator friend Sean just finished installing a Jaguar front suspension/steering into a 51 Ford pickup and also installed a 351 Windsor V8. It all fits nicely, and the geometry puts the crossmember forward so that there is no interference with the engine.

Also see post number 21 here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=custom+frame
          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

There is quite a discussion of the subject here.
            https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-11831288

Comment

If you just want to make it easy to steer and are not looking for improved ride and handling it's not a bad way to go. If you mount the rack to the axle you will need a splined slip joint on the steering shaft. It will need to get longer and shorter as the axle and rack moves up and down. You also need to make sure it is a rear mounted rack.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Or you can get Flaming Rivers Vega style, 34 Ford rack. Make a simple bracket and if you need power, use a Toyota electric assist column.

Comment

Working...
                X