Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tranny fluid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Tranny fluid??

I have a 55 commander V8. It calls for type A. We all know they don’t sell that anymore.
    Dextron II??

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Originally posted by Steve-o-Reno View Post
    I have a 55 commander V8. It calls for type A. We all know they don’t sell that anymore.
    Dextron II??

Thanks in advance for your answers!
    I would use Dexron and only after draining the transmission and the convertor (separate drains). Then refill properly and to the correct amount/level.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Steve-o-Reno, these folks advertise type A. http://www.warcopro.com/?page_id=579

Comment

Often you can find TYPE FA which is compatible with TYPE A.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Valvoline still makes the best ATF for Borg Warner Automatics, Type "F", you ORDER it from your Auto Parts Store.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I am starting to think type F or now type FA might be the best choice for the BW trannys. They originally called for type "A" which was superseded by type "F", a "F"riction modified fluid. Seems to me they were engineered to use friction fluid and not the newer slippery stuff we can buy. Considering what we are driving I will sure put in a bit of extra effort to find a type F or FA fluid. It should last for 20k-30k miles which will be well past my life expectancy.

Oh, wait... I drive a 4 spd so the above point may be moot to me, unless I find a nice GT Hawk or exceptional Daytona Wagonaire to put in my driveway!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Valvoline still makes the best ATF for Borg Warner Automatics, Type "F", you ORDER it from your Auto Parts Store.
              Ford Motor Co = Type F: 1953/64 Ford-O-Matic, 1958/72 FX/MX & 1969/89 FMX Cruise-O-Matic. 1964/76 C4 & 1966/76 C6.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Just a personal note as I remember my experiences with the DG250. The trans is like no other, it and the Packard Ulutamatic were the only transmissions of the period to use a lock-up torque converter. I drove cars with these, starting in 1961. Most of the cars had miles on them, and the transmissions were somewhat sloppy and pretty much matched the rest of the drive train, in other words they slipped. This required that I had to momentarily lift my foot from the accelerator, to allow it to shift into top gear. Ignorance has it's own rewards, which means, in this case, that I thought that this was a normal condition. I was just happy with what I had.

During the 70's I restored my 55 Speedster. As part of the restoration, I had friend, Ingvar Vik, rebuild the DG 250, and was able to get, and install, a NOS torque converter. Coincidentally, I bought a 55 Commander htp with the best operating DG 250 that I have ever owned. What a difference, I immediately became aware of what I had been missing! I still own that car, but haven't driven it in years. I still own the Speedster, as well.

Now why some of this stuff might make a difference. When I put the Speedster back together, I was talked into using, fluid type F. This fluid, as I understand it, is designed to tighten up the shifts on many Ford-Borg Warner transmissions. I determined in short order, that what might be good for Fords, with no lock-up TC didn't work at all well, for my newly rebuilt DG 250. Regardless of grade I was pulling, as soon as a speed, of about 23 mph, was reached, the trans would shift into top gear solidly. No matter how much the engine lugged, it would not shift down until I floored the accelerator, thus shifting it into passing gear. What would have worked nicely for a sloppy DG, or maybe even with the extra torque of a 289, didn't seem to work very well with the Speedster.

I might have been able to adjust the pressure, to postpone the final shift until about 30 mph, but I found that going to Dextron made a good deal of difference. If I knew that I could still get the old quality type A fluid, with the whale oil additive, I would probably use it, in a good DG. I understand and support behind type A's demise, but it does leave a void. This has to be filled by what's available. What's good for one trans, might not work for another. You may have to do some experimentation. Good luck, I hope you let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNorm View Post
                  I am starting to think type F or now type FA might be the best choice for the BW trannys. They originally called for type "A" which was superseded by type "F", a "F"riction modified fluid. Seems to me they were engineered to use friction fluid and not the newer slippery stuff we can buy. Considering what we are driving I will sure put in a bit of extra effort to find a type F or FA fluid. It should last for 20k-30k miles which will be well past my life expectancy.

Oh, wait... I drive a 4 spd so the above point may be moot to me, unless I find a nice GT Hawk or exceptional Daytona Wagonaire to put in my driveway!
                  It seems like this thread has transitioned from the DG transmissions to the newer Flightomatic/Fordomatic styles. This could be confusing to some. They are completely different transmissions. For example, you will not find a DG transmission originally installed in a Hawk or Daytona.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I still get Type F off the shelf at O'Riley. I believe if that's what was called for by the manufacturer then an effort should be made to adhere to that recommendation.

Comment

I asked that question at a Cooperator session at one of our Stude national meets. My car is a '59 Lark VI with the Borg Warner automatic trans. The answer, from our panel of experts, was to use Type F in my transmission. That's what I've been doing and it's worked very well. I don't know enough about the DG transmissions to give a decent answer.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Just to clarify, I would use Dextron first before I used Ford F in my DG. I also us Dextron in all my Studebakers, with Flightomatics. In these it really does make a difference in softening the shifting character, of a well maintained trans.

Comment

not a Studebaker, but when i did a flush & fill on my '89 Buick Reatta, i filled the trans with 1qt. of type F the rest was Dextron. that gave her a bit of a quicker shift.

on the '51 i've been using Dextron but i may try type F when i refill it - which is soon since the DG-150 leaks pretty bad.
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

not a Studebaker, but when i did a flush & fill on my '89 Buick Reatta, i filled the trans with 2qts. of type F. the rest was Dextron. that gave her a bit of a quicker shift.

on the '51 i've been using Dextron but i may try type F when i refill it - which is soon since the DG-150 leaks pretty bad.
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                            X