Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

56 Hawk seat belt installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 56 Hawk seat belt installation

Can anyone offer advice on where to drill holes to install front seat belts on a 56 Golden Hawk (no pillar)? There is a double floor where I'd like to install the 'I' bolt on the door side.
    Although many modern cars have the seatbelt attached to the seat, I think it would be a bad idea to do the same in this car.
    All ideas are welcome---

thanks, Jim
    Jim Ober

I think you MAY be talking about installing SHOULDER HARNESSES, Not Seat Belts (Lap Belts), as the Original Option was?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

No, I'm talking about seat belts. No holes, nothing on the build sheet, car came with no seat belts.
      Jim
      Jim Ober

Comment

One way you could do it but will involve rolling the carpet back. Drill your hole where you want the seat belts to be. Then with the carpet rolled back so you can get at the hole that you just drilled make it just a bit bigger with a die grinder and carbide bit or next size larger drill bit. Now take a piece of tin maybe about 18 gauge drill the same size hole in it and weld a nut to it that fits your bolt you plan to use. Leave the tin large enough that you can drop the nut though the hole and still have room to put a 1/4 rivet on all four sides. This way when the carpet is back down you wont see the rivets and you can just bolt the seat belt down. Not the strongest way but would be better than nothing. Best would be to use a little thicker tin and weld rather than use rivets. All depend on what you have available and how deep in to it you want to get.

Comment

Seat belt kits come with all the proper mounting hardware and instructions. This isn't rocket surgery or brain science........it's 4 holes drilled in the floor after reading the instructions.
          Not sure I'd want to bet my life on 4 pop rivets in a thin sheet of tin, covered by carpet. Just my opinion.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There were two factory lap seat belt installations for the 56J -- if you're going for authenticity. Check with Frank Ambrogio on his 56J Only web site. The first type involved a cable-type installation of the inner belts in back of the front seats with the outside belts mounted on the outside of the door frames. The second style did away with the cable set-up.

See the photo below of the factory option. They're rarer than hen's teeth and I made up my own on my former 56J.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 Packaard seat belts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1720265

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Safety Belt, Mounted on Door.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1720266
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Jim, give me a call.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

The only way , unless you can go with the original set which is a conversation starter and kinda cool, is to cut a neat hole, install the seat belt and the install a nice neat cover with rivets or sheet metal screws

Comment

Working...
                X