No announcement yet.

How to removed delicate molding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How to removed delicate molding?

I am in the process of restoring my '58 Packard Hawk and have reached an impasse in attempting to remove a delicate transition molding piece that lies on either side of the trunk and covers the seam between the body and the fins; see photo
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1757612
    I am able to remove the fastening nuts that are accessible from inside the trunk but am not sure how it is fastened forward of the trunk hinges. Any assistance from someone who has " been there and done that" would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to try to remove these pieces until I know they are completely disconnected for fear of bending them since they are so delicate.
    Dan Marrin
    My Packards; '40 120 sed, '41 Rollson sed, '48 Victoria conv, '48 Super 8 limo, '58 Hawk
    I live summers in Breezy Point, MN and winters in Sistersville, WV

That's called beading and it's obviously meant to hide a seam. If it doesn't just pop off with a little help underside from a rubber mallot, someone may have put a bed of caukling under it as a rust preventative and seam sealer. It might just take a but more persistence with the mallot, lightly and over the entire length for a while.

As far as "forward of the hinges", I can't remember that far back.. (used to own a 57 GH)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
      That's called beading and it's obviously meant to hide a seam. If it doesn't just pop off with a little help underside from a rubber mallot, someone may have put a bed of caukling under it as a rust preventative and seam sealer. It might just take a but more persistence with the mallot, lightly and over the entire length for a while.

As far as "forward of the hinges", I can't remember that far back.. (used to own a 57 GH)
      A malllot might work

But a mallet would be better

Comment

Its been awhile, but those fin-strips on 56Js are attached with 'T' headed bolts, and nuts, where accessible. Where not accessible, i.e. forward of the trunk hinges, the 'T' headed bolts have no nuts, instead they press into a barrel clamp. To release them, you need to access them from the bottom side, and press upward on the ends of the bolts. I use a long, flat bar. Once the bolts move a bit, you can then pull them out the rest of the way from the topside. Be careful though, as those fin-strips are mode of real soft metal, and will kink easily.

Comment

JoeHall; Thank you very much for your knowledgeable response. I thought I was able to catch a glimpse of the "barrel clamps" forward of the trunk hinges, but was not sure that is what they were and how to safely remove the bolts from their grasp. I will definitely take this process slow and easy, so as not to bend or kink those delicate strips.
          Dan Marrin
          My Packards; '40 120 sed, '41 Rollson sed, '48 Victoria conv, '48 Super 8 limo, '58 Hawk
          I live summers in Breezy Point, MN and winters in Sistersville, WV

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
            [/url]

But a mallet would be better
            Whatever!......................
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by PackarDan View Post
              JoeHall; Thank you very much for your knowledgeable response. I thought I was able to catch a glimpse of the "barrel clamps" forward of the trunk hinges, but was not sure that is what they were and how to safely remove the bolts from their grasp. I will definitely take this process slow and easy, so as not to bend or kink those delicate strips.
              Since yours' strips run farther forward, you may have a few of those 'T' bolts around/behind the rear window regulator. They will be held in place either by nut or barrel clamp, depending on accessibility. The second side will probably go easier than the first side (grin). It may be comforting to know, if the strips are damaged, or corroded beyond repair, repros are available from Classic Enterprises.

Comment

Working...
              X