Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

In need of Dana 27 axle shift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: In need of Dana 27 axle shift.

Turns out I have a bent axle shaft of the passenger side of a Dana 27 and am in need of a replacement. Shoot me a PM if you have one available.
    This is for a Lark TT.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

Is there a rush?

Hi Don, can it wait a couple Days until I can verify that one of ours has a good taper and is not bent?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I believe Dana 27 and 44 use the same axles, but are you sure you have a 27 under that Hawk?

Comment

The only U.S. Built Hawk that SHOULD have a Model 23 Axle, would be a '59 Silver Hawk 6.

There are TWO Model 27 Axles: '59-'62, and one for '63-'64. Twin Traction or not does NOT matter.

There is one for the Model 23.

Another for the Model 44, all are different in SOME way, on this 44 it's definitely the Diameter.

So your '61 "should" have a 289 V8 and a Model 44. IF it does not I would surely get rid of that Diff.!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

OP is looking for axle for Lark TT. Could be Dana 27.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Hi Don, can it wait a couple Days until I can verify that one of ours has a good taper and is not bent?
            No Rich, there is no immediate rush. The rear end is indeed a Dana 27, 3.07, Originally put in for better gas mileage. Out of a Lark, decided not to replace it with a 44 because it does fine with my style of 74 year old driving. Thanks
            Last edited by whitehawk759; 04-04-2018, 11:36 AM.
            Don Watson
            61 Hawk

Comment

If a 44 axle will fit I have two since I did the fairborn axle kit. They are out of a Dana 44 61 Hawk

Comment

I would be interested. PM sent
                Don Watson
                61 Hawk

Comment

I am trying to send you a PM but having problems doing it
                  Don Watson
                  61 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    The only U.S. Built Hawk that SHOULD have a Model 23 Axle, would be a '59 Silver Hawk 6.

There are TWO Model 27 Axles: '59-'62, and one for '63-'64. Twin Traction or not does NOT matter.

There is one for the Model 23.

Another for the Model 44, all are different in SOME way, on this 44 it's definitely the Diameter.

So your '61 "should" have a 289 V8 and a Model 44. IF it does not I would surely get rid of that Diff.!
                    Rich: I surely would get rid of it if I could find one that was close enough so that i did not have to ship that bloody large lump of coal.
                    Don Watson
                    61 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by whitehawk759 View Post
                      I am trying to send you a PM but having problems doing it
                      Don: I can't make it work either. You can e-mail me at edavis11@bresnan.net. I'd like to get rid of both of them since I won't have any use for them..Not trying to make any money on them so if you have a way to figure out what the shipping would be on the pair you can have them.
                      Earle Davis

Comment

Before you get too carried away a model 44 rear axle shaft will NOT work in a 23/27 rear end.

Comment

Don, . We have a decent axle from a Model 27 up here in Ferndale, WA if you did not sort it out yet.. With the shop overhaul it took some time. PM me Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X