Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Evans waterless engine coolent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Evans waterless engine coolent

recently at a car club meeting the topic of the EVANS WATERLESS ENGINE COOLANT took center stage. Most of the members were asleep until that discussion woke them up. To fill my 64 Avanti R2 and my 63 GT Hawk my cost would be about $500. for the coolant and the flush treatment. What does the esteemed members think of this product? Is it worth the money, any negatives and what positives can any of you elaborate on.?
    thanks for the anticipated overwhelming responses.
    Mark

Go to the AACA forum and subject Evans waterless coolant. You will get enough information to keep you reading for a while.

Comment

There is PLENTY about it right here, certainly no shortage of Pro's and a few Con's by people who have not tried it:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=Evans+Coolant

StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a friend that uses the Evans coolant in his 35 Packard and swears by it. I don't know that I would spend $500 to use the Evans coolant in either one of my Studebakers due to the cost involved. I can buy the green Zerex antifreeze for around 12 bucks per gallon and I use 4 gallons every two years. For the cost involved and the benefits derived from the use of the Evans coolant, I can't justify it. I've also heard that the newer GO5 antifreeze can be used in place of the old green antifreeze with good results plus it has a 5 year life. I will try the GO5 antifreeze in my cars the next time I do a coolant change. Bud

Comment

Since the whole point of this car hobby is to spend money, this seems like a great way to get started.
          Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
            Since the whole point of this car hobby is to spend money, this seems like a great way to get started.
            Now that's down right honestly funny, Bro!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The thing is - the world is full of stuff you don't need to try to know they're hoopla. But, if you want to run Evans antifreeze and Amsoil oil - your money, your choice.

As P.T. Barnum said............................

Comment

If you have EVER seen the RUSTY goo that comes out of these Blocks, you might actually consider the Evans Coolant for the "no more rust' advantage.

Just say'in!
                I am NOT affiliated in any WAY with the Evans Coolant Co. or ANY of it's Distributors.
                StudeRich

Comment

Sure, I've seen the rust and crap in seventy year old blocks. They were initially run on methanol antifreeze w/o corrosion inhibitors, sometimes sat unused for years or decades. Of course they're corroded.

Now let me ask you - have you looked at the coolant passages in a car built in the last twenty years which was factory filled with modern propylelne glycol antifreeze? I have. My 1996 Caddy has never had an antifreeze change, and when I replaced the water pump recently, the water passages looked like the day it left the factory.

I'd also point out that the owner's manual for our 2004 Volvo says the coolant NEVER needs to be changed. However if lost due to a leak or spill use modern propylene glycol, available everywhere for $16/gallon

If you think some high dollar, overhyped stuff is worth the price - your car, your money. But don't mislead others by referring to ancient engines which were run on ancient antifreeze which had no corrosion inhibitors and needed to be changed every year before it became aggressively corrosive.
                  Last edited by jnormanh; 04-02-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

From March 1, 1961 Studebaker Parts and Accessories Price List:

SP-50026, Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, Case of (24) 1 Qt. Cans: (1 to 119) $12.00 Dealer Net.

SP-50027, Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, Case of (6) Gallon Cans: (1 to 119) $11.40 Dealer Net.

SP-50216 Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, 55 Gal. Drum, (1 to 119): $ 93.50, (120-299): $91.85 Dealer Net.

I am pretty sure all through the 1960's and quite a while BEFORE the Factory and Dealers were using current rust inhibited Ethylene Glycol Permanent Anti-Freeze, certainly NOT Old 1930's Methanol Alcohol.

In warmer Climates, were "Some" run on pure Water or Water and Soluble Oil or Rust inhibitor after Cooling System work, Sure!
                    StudeRich

Comment

From March 1, 1961 Studebaker Parts and Accessories Price List:

SP-50026, Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, Case of (24) 1 Qt. Cans: (1 to 119) $12.00 Dealer Net.

SP-50027, Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, Case of (6) Gallon Cans: (1 to 119) $11.40 Dealer Net.

SP-50216 Permanent Anti-Freeze; Ethylene Glycol, 55 Gal. Drum, (1 to 119): $ 93.50, (120-299): $91.85 Dealer Net.

I am pretty sure all through the 1960's and quite a while BEFORE the Factory and Dealers were using current rust inhibited Ethylene Glycol Permanent Anti-Freeze, certainly NOT Old 1930's Methanol Alcohol.

In warmer Climates, were "Some" run on pure Water or Water and Soluble Oil or Rust inhibitor after Cooling System work, Sure!

Yep. By the sixties Ethylene glycol (to be drained and replaced annually) was SOP. And, if done, worked well enough. And I (and you too) have seen sixties blocks which are not sludge filled garbage. If the AF was not drained and replaced, or, if someone filled with plain water in the summer, there was rust and crud. I own a 1959 Sprite which has never had the block boiled out and is still clean as a whistle.

But that is not the point.

The point is, now pay attention, that modern propylene glycol AF will prevent corrosion and sludge almost forever. Some brands say replace at 150,000 miles, some say never. And that is what people are doing, and it is working just fine.

So, if the $16/gallon stuff is good for 150K or forever, why would anyone ever want to spend the cost of Evans? 'splain your thought process.

Comment

I never said I believe in it, or Use it, I just gave the Original poster the facts, that's all.

Personally, I would never use the "Long Life": stuff, the Red stuff that clogs the radiator that GM finally had to discontinue, etc.
                        I use Standard Ol' Fashioned Mix it yourself, Ethylene Glycol, Green Prestone and use and dispose of it, responsibly to not Kill the Animals and Fish.
                        StudeRich

Comment

I never said I believe in it, or Use it, I just gave the Original poster the facts, that's all.

Personally, I would never use the "Long Life": stuff, the Red stuff that clogs the radiator that GM finally had to discontinue, etc.
                          I use Standard Ol' Fashioned Mix it yourself, Ethylene Glycol, Green Prestone and use and dispose of it, responsibly to not Kill the Animals and Fish.
                          Evans = ethylene glycol. LOL!

http://www.hrpworld.com/store/media/...%20Coolant.pdf

Comment

Excellent answer to be sure!....for over 50 years I have changed the coolant(Prestone) every 4-5 years and I have to tell you I have never over-heated, and the inside of the engine was like new when I rebuilt her. There are many products on the market that do things exceedingly well, mostly diminish the green paper in ones wallet.
                            Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                            Sure, I've seen the rust and crap in seventy year old blocks. They were initially run on methanol antifreeze w/o corrosion inhibitors, sometimes sat unused for years or decades. Of course they're corroded.

Now let me ask you - have you looked at the coolant passages in a car built in the last twenty years which was factory filled with modern propylelne glycol antifreeze? I have. My 1996 Caddy has never had an antifreeze change, and when I replaced the water pump recently, the water passages looked like the day it left the factory.

I'd also point out that the owner's manual for our 2004 Volvo says the coolant NEVER needs to be changed. However if lost due to a leak or spill use modern propylene glycol, available everywhere for $16/gallon

If you think some high dollar, overhyped stuff is worth the price - your car, your money. But don't mislead others by referring to ancient engines which were run on ancient antifreeze which had no corrosion inhibitors and needed to be changed every year before it became aggressively corrosive.

Comment

Plus 100 Bro!!!
                              Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
                              Now that's down right honestly funny, Bro!

Comment

Working...
                              X