No announcement yet.

dies at idle....Problem Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: dies at idle....Problem Solved!

Started my V8 Champ today....she started fine when I noticed a "hiss"....as long as I kept my foot on the gas she ran fine....let off the gas and she dies.....any ideas?
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Look down the throat of the carburetor, give the accelerator pump a couple pumps and see if you have fuel coming out of both holes in the pump nozzle. You should see something coming out during idle, certainly during acceleration. If not, then you might have some debris plugging the nozzle up. Otherwise, the low speed/idle circuit is probably plugged up some where and you might have to take the carburetor apart and clean it real good. Either that, or you have a vaccum leak?
    Bo

Comment

Sounds like a vacuum leak.....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sacrificing the wrong snake to the wrong idol. Perhaps it's the idle you're concerned with? Like Jeff said look for a loose hose or other source of vacuum leak. Sometimes the PCV valve can stick. Also the brake booster can go bad, or it's hose leak.
        Last edited by bezhawk; 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

OP said "she started fine when I noticed a "hiss" "

DEEPNHOCK replied "Sounds like a vacuum leak....."

indeed it does

Comment

(I never passed the spelling class in H.S.....)
            Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Sacrificing the wrong snake to the wrong idol. Perhaps it's the idle you're concerned with? Like Jeff said look for a loose hose or other source of vacuum leak. Sometimes the PCV vale can stick. Also the brake booster can go bad, or it's hose leak.
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

My suspicion also....going to check her out Monday...first place to look?
              Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
              OP said "she started fine when I noticed a "hiss" "

DEEPNHOCK replied "Sounds like a vacuum leak....."

indeed it does
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Does the truck have a PCV valve? Does the truck have an automatic transmission so the transmission would have a vacuum modulator?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

3 speed with O.D.
                  Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  Does the truck have a PCV valve? Does the truck have an automatic transmission so the transmission would have a vacuum modulator?
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

OK a Standard Trans. 62 Champ, it could only be a Distributor Vacuum Advance Hose, a PCV Hose or a Hydrovac Booster Hose if equipped, UNLESS it's the wrong or blown Carb. Gasket or loose screws on Carb.
                    The Bottom portion of a 2 Brl. has 4 hidden screws in the base upside down!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Checked her out tonight.....two hoses run off the back of the carburetor: a small one about 1/4" and a larger one about 1/2"....the larger one had come loose from the base....going to try her in the morning....what are these hoses called?
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Checked carb on my '62 Champ with AFB 4bbl. Large hose on carb rear is PCV. Small hose attached to front goes to dist. vacuum advance.

Comment

Just a guess without looking, but the larger one likely goes to power brakes or PCV valve. The smaller one might go to the vacuum advance.

Comment

The large hose is vacuum to the base of the carb, the small one is vacuum advance to the distributor. Hold the idle with the fast idle screw, then tune the jets, you should be able to turn down the idle after that. If it bogs out then, check for vacuum leak at the base of the carb or the hoses, check that the choke is functioning properly. You may have to tweek the timing in combination with the adjustments.
                            if you can’t get a good idle after this, you may have to look at the float adjustment, make sure the needle valve is clean and seating properly. So many small things can cause the rough or no idle.
                            Last edited by BrianC; 03-30-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Problem Solved!....reattached the large hose....the "hiss" is gone.....she's running great again! (Wish all my Studebaker issues could be this simple).
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X