Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to staples for attaching cat whiskers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like pop rivets and screws for these types of installs but on my Avanti door panels they didn't really fill the bill. So I had to resort to the SS staples.

I found that by clamping the "cat Whiskers" to the door panel with spring clamps, I could drill 1/8" holes the spacing of the staples. The biggest problem is bending the staples like the factory so what I finally found was to bend each leg of the staple slightly inward about 1/8 inch from the end and pushing them into the holes. I then used a small pair of needle nosed pliers to bend them further while pulling them tight. A good pair of Channellock pliers flattened them, holding the cat whiskers tight. A lot fiddly but it worked.

I'd choose the rivets and screws if I could however as I used them to build and attach the outside rubber weatherstripping.

Bob

Comment

Steve,
      A big thank you for taking the time to post a most informative and detailed description of what most of us would refer to as an "ugly job". I'll definitely reference your post this fall when I attack my '57 Clipper wagon whiskers.
      Thanks again.
      Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
        Steve,
        A big thank you for taking the time to post a most informative and detailed description of what most of us would refer to as an "ugly job". I'll definitely reference your post this fall when I attack my '57 Clipper wagon whiskers.
        Thanks again.
        Cheers, Bill
        Thank you sir. I found it pretty tedious, but rewarding. Good luck with your Clipper...those are cool cars.

Comment

Thank you Jerry. I have learned so much from this site that it is rewarding to be able to contribute a little bit back to it.

Comment

Thanks for the informative post. I was just getting ready to instll the car whiskers on my '51 Starlight Coupe. I have done the homemade staple method on another brand car I have but was hoping for some better ideas and I found them here thanks to you.

Comment

Working...
            X