Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Does anyone else have a FMX transmission in their Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Does anyone else have a FMX transmission in their Avanti?

I have a '63 R1 and it seems to have the FMX transmission. This thing is a bear to adjust. Was wondering if anyone else has this set up in their car? Ran great last summer for the most part and now it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd.
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Jon Myer at Meyer's Studebaker in Duncan Falls, Ohio has done them or knows about the conversions needed also his Friend in Calif. John Metzger does.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

After doing some searching online, it appears that maybe someone put a Ford Cruiseomatic in the Avanti. I wonder if the small case Cruiseomatic is a easy swap out?
      Jim Kaufman
      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

The FMX is a cruise-o-matic. Basically Ford took the heavy duty rotating parts from the MX and stuck them into the smaller case of the FX to create the FMX and eliminate one transmission in their line. They all have an Iron case with an alluminum bell housing and tailshaft housing. If it has a vacuum modulator valve it is a '61 or later unit. The modulator should be at the rear of the case on the drivers side. If it has a vacuum modulator, check that the hose to it is in good condition and properly connected. The next cheapest thing would be to replace the modulator valve. Be sure the fluid level is correct as well. If the modulator doesn't help, it could be a stuck valve in the valve body.
        sigpic

Comment

Studebaker TRUCK automatics also had a vacuum modulator.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
            The FMX is a cruise-o-matic. Basically Ford took the heavy duty rotating parts from the MX and stuck them into the smaller case of the FX to create the FMX and eliminate one transmission in their line. They all have an Iron case with an alluminum bell housing and tailshaft housing. If it has a vacuum modulator valve it is a '61 or later unit. The modulator should be at the rear of the case on the drivers side. If it has a vacuum modulator, check that the hose to it is in good condition and properly connected. The next cheapest thing would be to replace the modulator valve. Be sure the fluid level is correct as well. If the modulator doesn't help, it could be a stuck valve in the valve body.
            I have to agree if this trans is an FMX. I had a '70 Cyclone way back when. Shortly after I bought it, it started shifting weird, manual only 1st to 2nd and no 3rd. I ran the car over to a local independent transmission shop and the owner took it for a drive. Instead of putting it up on the lift he did some coaching and told about the need for vacuum to the modulator. Sure enough, I crawled under that night there was a very decayed rubber hose, broken in 2. Replaced the hose and got 4 years of good use before selling and that friend got another 5.

Comment

I have a FMX that was in a GT Hawk. It appears to be an early 70's unit. It was replaced by a correct Powershift during restoration so I bought it. I'll use it some day. The first gear start and vacuum controlled part throttle up shifts should work well in a 3.07 geared Studebaker.
              james r pepper

Comment

Thank You everone for the great info:

The metal tag on the transmission must have been taken off the original transmission and moved over to this FMX. That makes it really hard for the next guy (Me) to work on it. LOL. This would also explain why the detent is off just a tad as well.
                Now last Fall I capped off the vacuum modulator and ran with only the manual throttle lever and the car ran the best it ever has since I've owned it. I will replumb the vacuum line and give it another shot and see what happens. My guess is it will be fine. Know that this is probably a FMX it will make it easier searching for info on the forum now.
                Jim Kaufman
                Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                1962 GT Hawk
                1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by Never Enough Studebakers View Post
                  Thank You everone for the great info:

The metal tag on the transmission must have been taken off the original transmission and moved over to this FMX. That makes it really hard for the next guy (Me) to work on it. LOL. This would also explain why the detent is off just a tad as well.
                  Now last Fall I capped off the vacuum modulator and ran with only the manual throttle lever and the car ran the best it ever has since I've owned it. I will replumb the vacuum line and give it another shot and see what happens. My guess is it will be fine. Know that this is probably a FMX it will make it easier searching for info on the forum now.
                  This alone could be your problem. Make sure the shifter linkage is adjusted so it drops completely into the trans detent. With trans swaps, it's not unusual to have to re-cut, remove or replace the gate in the shifter so the trans can be shifted completely into gear.
                  sigpic

Comment

The FMX pan gasket, filter , etc is the same as a Powershift. I had one in my 70 RQA
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Does it shift PNDLR or PRNDL. The former is a regular "Flashomatic" and the later is a Power shift correct for the Avanti. These old FMX's are darned near bulletproof so I be a bit surprised if someone swapped it , especially for a lesser version. Had a bad time with adjusting my 64 Hawk with powershift; had the shifter rebuilt in town and it makes all the difference. You probably have the correct trans and the fix is likely fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        Does it shift PNDLR or PRNDL. .
                        It had the Powershift quadrant/ I drove it like a stick shift for 60% of its 140K miles (chirp chirp)
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The shift pattern for the entire FMX family, be it a FX,MX, cruise-o-matic or their predecessors all had reverse imediately after park.
                          sigpic

Comment

FMX: 1969/89 FoMoCo Passenger Cars // 1973/77 F350 300 I-6 // P-R-N-D-2-1

FX (aka small Cruise-O): 1958/67 Ford Passenger Cars // 1958/64 F100/350.

MX (aka big Cruise-O): 1958/67 Ford/Merc/Thunderbird Passenger Cars // 1965/67 F100/350 352 // 1965/72 F350 300 I-6.

Note: The MX pan, pan gasket and filter are different than the FX & FMX // FMX uses a different filter than the FX

The TRANS ID tags were originally located on the servo cover, left side of case. See Ford parts catalog pic:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by WinM1895; 03-24-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X