No announcement yet.

56 g.h. That runs fine up to 3000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, putting this engine on a scope would probably give you an answer in about 5 minutes.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I agree with Gord. Either use a scope, or a spark tester like the one I made to check for a hot blue spark. I made the spark tester because I'm having the same problem with my 2 cycle leaf blower. It runs fine at idle and fast idle, but just won't rev up, and the problem started all of a sudden. A new spark plug, new mixed gas, and new carb hasn't changed it, so I'm still stumped, because my tester shows a hot blue spark when it won't rev higher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark Plug Tester 2.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1720051

Comment

Did you use pertronix igniter III. I believe it has built in rev limiter
        Check the docs that came with the pertronix stuff
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Studegary- The transmission has been changed to a chevy 350 because the twin ultramatic is not a good transmission and no one knows how to fix one.
          Nothing electric connected to this transmission. Thank You,Don

Comment

Originally posted by DMB-8 View Post
            Studegary- The transmission has been changed to a chevy 350 because the twin ultramatic is not a good transmission and no one knows how to fix one.
            Nothing electric connected to this transmission. Thank You,Don
            Don,
            On another note, once you solve the motor problem, the car should drive out beautiful with that GM-350 transmission. The low gear start, combined with the 3.07 will be a beautiful combo for driving!

Comment

Did the cam get changed or the gears/chain (I have never delved inside a Stude engine). The reason I ask is I built a SBC and didn't get the cam properly timed. The symptoms sound similar. Did it miss and backfire as you increased the throttle?

Comment

It did not get a new cam and it does not buck or backfire when running or revved up.Thank You,Don

Comment

Did this ever get fixed??
                  '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Yes this did get fixed.The problem was the distributor.I had the original autolite distributor checked on a distributor machine and put the points back in and that corrected the problem.I still don't know if it was the pertronix or the distributor but it works fine now.Thank You,Don

Comment

Hey Don,

No advise, but to write good to see you back with a 56 Golden Hawk and once you've got the throttle/running issue licked, hope you have a great time with your car. I'm presuming it'll be a lovely as the salmon and snowcap one you owned previously!

All best wishes, Richard
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

If you have an electric tach it will show ignition problem such as bad coil or points or any thing that creates the spark. The needle will "bounce" around. A tach and vacuum guage will save a lot of dinking around and spending money.

Comment

Happy Ending!
                          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Working...
                          X