No announcement yet.

56 g.h. That runs fine up to 3000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thought on the blocked exhaust can cause such a problem.
    A vacuum gauge can help diagnose this, as the vacuum would drop very low with wide open throttle and blocked exhaust.

Comment

Check under the metering rod cover. Make sure the set screw that holds the vacuum piston pull off is tight, and adjusted properly. Make sure you don't have an internal resistance coil in conjunction with the external resistor.
      Edited..... I forgot you said it has an Edelbrock. Still, check to see if the metering rods are free and functioning. The rods can get bent, and the pistons can stick.
      Last edited by bezhawk; 03-20-2018, 07:35 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The exhaust is brand new 2"stainless steel pipe no obstructions {dual pipes}. The coil is a 40,000 volt petronix with the petronix module no resistor in the line.The voltage seems a little low at the coil but the battery shows 12.5 volts.where else would it cut the voltage to the coil. Thank You,Don

Comment

Are you absolutely SURE that the wire from the Coil is a good Copper 16 Ga. wire and NOT a resistance one?

If in doubt, run a temporary wire from the Ign. Sw. or Battery (+).
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Do you have an aftermarket tach hooked up to it? Or are you guesstimating 3000 RPM, where the problem presents?

Comment

"Why not replace that Delco with an OEM Auto-Lite."
              Really?
              '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
                "Why not replace that Delco with an OEM Auto-Lite."
                Really?
                For whatever reason, on the lower line cars Packard used Autolite starter, generator, distributor and a Carter carb. The senior cars got Delco starter, generator, distributor and a Rochester carb. There's no functional difference and sixty-two years of being orphans, much CAPO parts swapping has occurred.

jack vines
                Obsolete Engineering Division
                of Mager Engine
                PackardV8

Comment

The wiring harness was new from lark so I don't think he would have put a resistance wire in the circuit. Yes I have an after market tach but we disconnected it and no change.Thank You,Don Not sure of the wiring guys name lark something.

Comment

Originally posted by DMB-8 View Post
                    The exhaust is brand new 2"stainless steel pipe no obstructions {dual pipes}. The coil is a 40,000 volt petronix with the petronix module no resistor in the line.The voltage seems a little low at the coil but the battery shows 12.5 volts.where else would it cut the voltage to the coil. Thank You,Don
                    Put the points back in. You might have a bad module.

Comment

Agree with DieselJim. I have learned to always suspect the new part when all else fails. I have been using a Pertronics in a Ford 289 for 30 years without a problem but there can be a bad one on occasion.
                      '49 2R15 Flatbed
                      '56 Golden Hawk
                      '62 GT Hawk
                      '63 Champ 8E 12
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi DMB-8,

I did not see have you replied to all of packardV8's thoughtful questions about load VS rpm sensitivity in post 7 ?

Dan T

Comment

What color is the wire from the ignition switch to the coil? If it is pink, it may well be a resistance wire. A good repop wire harness will have a resistance wire in that role, if it was called for in the original design.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Good point, Gord. A '56 Golden Hawk SHOULD have a separate ignition resistor.
                            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                            '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

The motor cuts out when it hits about 3000 rpm like you shut th e key off but picks up right away when you leave off the gas pedal This is a frame off restoration and everything on engine was new.Cap,wires, plugs,petronix modules,edelbrock carb electric fuel pump which I changed to a higher output one.
                              The wiring Harness was new and made by Lark works,We removed the ballast resistor and checked the voltage to the coil and am getting 12 volts to the coil.It will do it in the garage under no load at all just revving it up.The motor was bored new valves hydraulic lifters olds oil pump etc.I don't believe that there is a resistor wire on the ignition circuit.We jumped the two wires that went to the resistor together.I am thinking that it is either the distributor or the petronix but unsure.Thank You,Don

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                                Does your Hawk have an overdrive transmission? Perhaps the switch that cuts off the ignition momentarily is malfunctioning or misadjusted.
                                I do not believe what I posted about a week ago was answered/addressed.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X