Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Blinker - no blink

Hi Guys,

I'm having a curious problem with the turn signals on my 1951 2R5 pickup. The left turn signal works fine but the light on the right rear bulb only glows dimly while the right front turn signal does nothing. I replaced the bulb in the right front so it's brand new.

What suggestions do you guys have for troubleshooting this? I'm by no means an electrician and the thought of 6 volts running through me, uh... I guess that's not much voltage, is it.

Where do I begin to fix this problem?

Enjoy the photos~

Thanks

Mark in Ohio
    Attached Files

nkibler;
    You have not given enough information for for me to be of much help.
    Did the directional just stop working or has it never worked.
    If you have a volt meter or a test light there are a few things you can test.
    Without either of those the best you can do is make sure the bulb sockets are in good condition and clean of all corrosion. Then unbolt the directionals from their mounting and make sure all the areas around the bolts are free of corrosion. The bolts and the vehicle chassis serves as the return wire to the battery, for the electricity.

Ron

Comment

If one side works and the other doesn't ,it is a bad wire or more likely a ground fault. Start with removing and cleaning the turn sig lamp and run a wire from lamp body to the frame. Be sure connections are clean. This will probably work but if it does not its a corroded wire. You either have to trace the wire or simply run a new one. You MUST have a wiring diagram.

Comment

Did all else work well before you replaced the right front bulb? Check that the bulb is correctly inserted.

Comment

Do both brake lights work OK? If not, check the socket housing for a poor ground. Easiest way is to actuate the turn signal and use a multimeter to check for a voltage drop between the bulb socket housing and a good solid ground. If you see more than a few millivolts when the look for corrosion or something causing a poor ground. Pretty common on these old cars.

Comment

I bought the truck in December and the right side blinker never worked; it only lit up dimly. No blink. I suspect too, that it might be a faulty ground but I'm not sure where to begin to check it out. The suggestion above was helpful. I also thought it might be a bad wire-- the wiring is a minor mess-- so I guess I'll have to trace it back. There are no brake lights at all; they seem to be on another 'system' completely.

Comment

If you have only one Front and one Rear Light on each side like it does appear in your photos, then the Rear Stop Lights and "maybe" the Front Parking Lights ARE the same wires, same sockets, same bulb as the Turn Signals.

The Stop Light Fuse may be out or the hydraulic Stop Light Switch on the Brake line is Bad.
              Getting the stops working will help you trouble shoot the Turn Sigs.

I can't see where your Front Turn Signals are, usually the tiny Parking Light Sockets behind the headlight Rim are too small for a larger Dual Filament Bulb, so Trucks had separate Front Turn Signals.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Be aware that when you start messing with the old cotton jacket wiring, the insulation may crack and break off due to it being brittle. If this happens you can cut off the bad piece and replace with modern plastic coated wiring. If you haven't done much wiring you will learn to do so rather quickly; most of us who have had old cars for many years own an assortment of wires, connectors, sockets and switches,wiring tools and at least a test light!
                All good advice on previous threads BTW.

Comment

All good advise here.
                  It isn't rocket science, the has to be a complete circuit in order for any of your lights to work and you probably have lost ground contact somewhere.
                  Don't be afraid of the 6 volts dc you are dealing with here but remember there may be quite a lot of amperage that can translate into heat if you create a short circuit. The fabric covered wire can be fragile so handle the wires a bit carefully.
                  You will need to learn to use your VOM (Volt-Ohm-Meter). If you don't have one, you should get one, Walmart or your local parts place should be able to supply for not much money. I prefer analog over digital, your choice.
                  Good luck.
                  Jim/KB1MCV

Comment

I also prefer a good analog meter over digital meters.
                    Some of those digital meters won't even work around cars with solid plug wires and the engine running.
                    Some cheap digital meters go wonky if you look at them cross eyed.

Comment

Working...
                    X