No announcement yet.

New HEI distributor option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11SecAvanti Did you get the Maxx or the CRT?

Comment

Went with the CRT for $189. All the wiring and coil included in this kit. Plug wires came from Summit.
      Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

MAXX sells spare modules. I assume CRT does as well.
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
          Plug wires came from Summit.
          Part # pls..
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When I bought my Hawk the seller had installed the mopar electronic ignition system. This consists of a mopar distributor, electronic control unit and ballast resistor all available from Chrysler parts. I also have another complete conversion unit I carry in the trunk in case any thing goes awry on a road trip. I think the whole setup is american made with parts readily available and seems to have worked flawlessly for at least the last ten years that I know of. I'm sure its just as reliable as off shore goods and probably cheaper.

Comment

My receipt for the Pertronix powered HEI distributor I recently purchased from a Studebaker vendor was $490. It did not include the coil or plug wires. That did include shipping.

And CRT does sell parts - the module is less than $20.

Comment

If parts for the new CRT distributors are readily available, then I don't see a reason not to use them as the price is right. Bud

Comment

Excellent point, Joe.
                  The only reason I tossed some info up there was in response to the hardness question.
                  You are also correct that you have to know both components hardness number to get good life.
                  And to add... The hardness numbers have to be different. You cannot have the two components at the same hardness level.
                  That causes galling, and will destroy both components.
                  I have no clue as to the hardness of these items. But the buyer needs to know what he/she/it starts with and adds compatible pieces.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  In order for the Rockwell number on the Chinese drive gear to mean anything, we'd need to know the Rockwell of the OEM drive gear. I have no idea about Rockwells, but do know the OEM one is surprisingly soft. Seems most here are just out to bash the new distributor, but maybe we ought to wait till someone actually tests one. <snip>
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have installed the distributor and has made a huge improvement on the idle. Have not test driven it yet .No Tac as wired IWill try to hook sendor to the the lead of distributor .The
                    I am surprise it ran 12 volts going to coil point gap .0010 burnt points. Points condenser Coil and cap would have Close to 60 bucks.

Comment

Made the HEI install on a test engine stand and no issues on install or start up. Went with the light gold spring and gold bushings for quick mechanical advance off idle. Nice and steady control timing at 2500 rpm timing. Set the static advance at 10 degrees and recorded a mechanical advance of 20 degrees for 30 total. So a 12 would give the ideal 32 degrees mechanical. Like the quick ramp up of the timing. On the wires go with any snap fit spiral core 8 mm size and cut the lengths required.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wondering why you ran with the stop .If you are using the same distributor that I bought Running with out the bushing gives more centrifugal advance so you could run less initial
                        Thanks
                        Hawkowner

Comment

If you run less static distributor advance the performance response will be "less." A 20 degree mechanical spread over static setting is a good zone for performance off the starting line under load. Take your car to the track and log your timing performance settings for best tune. Let the performance time slips make the call on the settings you use. Hope this helps.

Comment

I would be interested to hear what the numbers look like if someone runs one of the new distributors on a distributor machine. Bud

Comment

I someone wants to send me an "as is" distributor still in the box, I will be glad to put it on my Sun distributor machine, plot the data and send it back to you asap.

Comment

I have a couple of questions about this item. 1) Are the cap and rotor a standard part or only from CRT? 2) Is the module easily available? 3) Do I need access to a dist. machine to set up?. Thanks -Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X