Another Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Another Distributor

And it has similarities to the MAXX unit...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1...cAAOSwpYdakv6w

Is Pembroke, MA where Dave Thibeault resides?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Was the MAXX unit a HEI? Thought it was just an 'electronic points' type.

EDIT: The thing I would be worried about most on the MAXX and also this distributor if it's also a Chinese product would be whether the distributor gear is the correct material (ie, compatible with the cam gear). Shredding the gear(s) would load the engine up with metal bits and pieces.
    Last edited by r1lark; 02-25-2018, 01:21 PM. Reason: added additional information
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

He's in Maynard,MA.

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
      And it has similarities to the MAXX unit...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1...cAAOSwpYdakv6w

Is Pembroke, MA where Dave Thibeault resides?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My concern about aftermarket distributors besides the quality of the parts is the advance curve built into those distributors. The Maxx unit ad says it will work in all of the Studebaker V8 engines which is not correct as the spark advance curves are different for the 232, 259,289 and the R1 and R2 engines. If a distributor meant for a 232 engine is used in an R2 engine I will guarantee there will be way too much advance which could lead to major detonation problems and eventual engine failure. Even the Delco/Prestolite distributors used in stock 259,289 engines have too much advance for an R engine. Bud

Comment

Now we have three threads about these distributors!
          David L

Comment

Bud, I have bought 2 of the Blue Maxx distributors and they have 3 sets of springs. Black (heavy), silver (medium) and gold (soft). An A, D, and F advance stop bushing. You can adjust the advance to whatever you want by mixing and matching.
            On one of the distributors I ordered was drop shipped from the distributor and it came in a TSP or Top Street performance box. I checked on line and TSP is getting $190 for them. Every thing else is identical but the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              My concern about aftermarket distributors besides the quality of the parts is the advance curve built into those distributors. The Maxx unit ad says it will work in all of the Studebaker V8 engines which is not correct as the spark advance curves are different for the 232, 259,289 and the R1 and R2 engines. If a distributor meant for a 232 engine is used in an R2 engine I will guarantee there will be way too much advance which could lead to major detonation problems and eventual engine failure. Even the Delco/Prestolite distributors used in stock 259,289 engines have too much advance for an R engine. Bud
              I would never recommend setting timing at idle because of just what you said. Get a timing tape or notch your balancer and set total timing. Then you can sleep soundly.

Comment

Working...
              X