No announcement yet.

Bad 1-2 shift in a FOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warren, take the truck out for a longer drive and let the seals really warm up and let the fluids flow around them when the trans is up to operating temp. The seals may swell up a little from being exercised. It's surprising how a 50 mile road trip can fix a lot of things. Carburetors work better, spark plugs clean up and tires become round again.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thought I'd give a heads up on what's going on. Since the truck came out to the new house in Arizona this is what I have experienced. When I leave & head into town starts out with a small uphill & then a steady downhill drive. This allows the shifts to be very smooth & practically coast downhill for about a mile & a half, then flat terrain for another mile coming to a stop. Next onto the paved road. This is where I had the 1-2 shift shudder before. Now, driving the truck at least 3 times a week (always on Wednesday to take the trash to the transfer station) I haven't felt the shudder for the past 2 months at least. I guess it needed to be driven more! The side benefit is the comments. Just yesterday I took my granddaughter for ice cream & a woman leaned out the window & said "oh I love your truck". When I got gas a few days ago another commented on it & said "we always slow down going past your place to see what your working on today" giving me a chuckle and the owner of a local restaurant called me "Mr. Studebaker" now. Isn't it nice being a "Drivers" club !
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
      X