1966 Ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1966 Ventilation

How does the ventilation system through the tail lights work on a '66 Lark? Is it similar to the GM "Astro Ventilation" from '68? What did Studebaker call it? Just curious for the sake of parts swapping.

JK

The system was indeed like GM's later Astro-Ventilation, except that air exited the Studebaker system through those louvered taillight housings, rather than the one-way valves in the door jambs General Motors used.

Studebaker's system was marketed with the name Refreshaire. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wasn't there some concern that exhaust vapors could get into the car in traffic, or something like that? Or was that just the Studebaker detractors who think anything made by an independent is inferior to the big three?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 1966 Dodge Charger had a similar system. It exited the air from the cabin out of the trunk lid opening (outside of the gasket). There was a rubber flap to restrict air motion to one direction (out).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I really liked the "breezeway" rear window in my '63 Merc. Still have a complete setup out of a '64 with plans of using it in an old pickup someday. Parted a '68 T-Bird that had a vacuum powered rear vent from the package tray to the outside panel in front of the deck lid. I think any of these flow through setups were more comfortable (for sure quieter) than having the windows down at road speed.
          Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            The system was indeed like GM's later Astro-Ventilation, except that air exited the Studebaker system through those louvered taillight housings, rather than the one-way valves in the door jambs General Motors used.
            They do have a 'one way valve' in the form of a top-hinged rubber flap over the rectangular openings on the rear panel, behind the louvered housings.

Craig

Comment

Is the ventilation feature the sole reason that the tail panel is different from 64/65, PN 1356575 to 66, PN 1362090?

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                Is the ventilation feature the sole reason that the tail panel is different from 64/65, PN 1356575 to 66, PN 1362090?
                That is correct. The '64/'65 have round holes, upper & lower to accommodate the sockets for the tail and backup lights, while the lower opening on the '66 panels are rectangular, and slightly larger.

Craig

Comment

I wonder if those flaps are still available? The "hinge" on one of mine is broken on the '66 I'm restoring.
                  Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                  X