Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1950 C-cab step/rocker rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1950 C-cab step/rocker rebuild

My wife and I are rebuilding a 1950 C-cab that is really rough. I've bought the step up, threshold, body mount and cab corners from Classic to repair the cab. Trouble is the original stuff is mostly gone so I have nothing to go by. Does anybody have any photos of how the panels join up by the lower door hinge? Also, when attaching the threshold to the step section, what is the thickness from the step to the bottom of the rocker supposed to be? Looks like around 1 1/2".
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

Anyone?
    Thanks
    Steve

Comment

Steve, I seem to remember some one here on the forum had pics. of a cab being completely redone, either blasted or dipped and then primed/painted ? this cab was about as rusy free as can be,and would show You what the factory did. I have nothing but bad luck with the search function, but maybe you can try finding these restoration pics. have You posted on the "Studebaker Truck Talk Page", likely some one can help out.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I believe that about two years ago I posted a set of pics for someone doing what you are doing. My 49 C cab is a big farm truck, but uses the same cab.

Might try a search. I am recovering from major surgery (with a side of post op infection from hell) so it will likely be a while before I could take a new set of pics.

If you run into a dead end, or can't find that old thread, I can sort through old pics and see if I have some that will be helpful.

Comment

Under cab pics

I realize this isn't exactly what you asked for, but here is what I have. I can take more after I am back on my feet. My cab is virtually rust free other than the very light surface rust. Spent most of its life in a barn in the high desert.
          Attached Files

Comment

A few more

Here are some more. Included a picture of the truck just for fun.
            Attached Files

Comment

Lynn, Sorry to hear you're laid up. I did find the old post where you helped out I sent you a PM, guess you didn't get it.
              Hope you get well soon.

Anyone know how thick the rocker / step is? I've got the 2 pieces from Classic but don't know the thickness to weld them together.
              Thanks

Comment

Just saw your message.
                Hoping I can get down there and do some things this weekend. If so, I can take some pics and measurements.

Comment

Steve, here is the webpage for the North East Michigan Studebaker club. ITWM, I'd email the webmaster or Bill Kruger the Pres, and see if some one in your area has one to look at. The majority of the club is IIRC from Flint south so there could be someone not to far from you and you could measure to your heart content. The membership is about $15 so it might be worth joining. I had a membership for a few years but schedule and my wife's health kept us from the meetings. Nice folks when I met them though.

http://www.nemsdc.com/about-us.html

Bob

Comment

Hey Bob, thanks for the link. I'll check into joining. I'm from Bay City also.

Lynn, also thanks for the link to the farm truck. Looks like ours did when we dragged it out of the woods. Ours is way more rusty. Was a former Standard propane truck.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8330 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1717817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328 (Medium).jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1717818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8326 (Medium).jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1717819I recently installed a new "rocker" on the drivers side of my 2R5. The cab was removed and sitting on its back but the job was still a big pain. As you can see in the pictures, the rocker does not go straight front to back but sits at an angle. The back is tucked under the cab corner and the front is attached to the cowl as the pictures show. I never was able to get the thing on like it should go. I had to cut it in pieces, install and then weld the pieces together. Anyway, here are 3 pictures which show how it fits together. As for the front cab mount, the bottom of the mount should be just a quarter inch or so above the bend in the floor. I hope this helps.
                      Last edited by truckguy; 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rootbeerstude View Post
                        Hey Bob, thanks for the link. I'll check into joining. I'm from Bay City also
                        Small world, let me know if you get back in the area. I'm now close to the State Park. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rootbeerstude View Post
                          Hey Bob, thanks for the link. I'll check into joining. I'm from Bay City also.

Lynn, also thanks for the link to the farm truck. Looks like ours did when we dragged it out of the woods. Ours is way more rusty. Was a former Standard propane truck.
                          I am doing well enough to get you some pics either today or tomorrow. I could measure, but it is probably best to just put a tape measure in each pic.

Any guidance on exactly what you need pictured? What angle?

Comment

Lynn, really need the dimension from the step with the 3 ribs to the bottom of the threshold/rocker underneath. Also is it the same thickness from the front to the rear? I'm assuming it is flat and square to match up with the door bottom.
                            Also need pics of the lower door hinge area. truckguy shows some of this from underneath but I need some from the door jamb area as well.

Thanks to all for the help. Will post some photos of what we're starting with soon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	931.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1717821Click image for larger version

Name:	941.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1717822

Comment

Working...