After Market Arvin Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: After Market Arvin Heater

I was about to take this Arvin heater to the recycler, but thought I'd check do see if someone could have a use for it. The motor works (6V - positive ground), but as you can see, it is very rough. No cost, just transportation. It came with our business coupe.
    Attached Files
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Surely, someone should like to have that heater, if for nothing more than "garage art." Back in the day, people who could scrape up enough money to buy a car, often didn't see the value of adding such accessories to the bill and the added interest to the struggle to make payments. There was a booming business in aftermarket heaters, and this brand was a leader.

If you look closely, you can see how adaptable it is. Once a person decided where along the firewall to mount it, there are interchangeable block-off plates & vents that can be used to use flex ducting, to connect to defrost vents, and even direct fresh air from the cars air vents into the heater coil. On this particular heater, the front louver door flaps can be rotated to help direct the air as well. Such heaters were often seen (at least by me) in 1920's cars & trucks (especially pick-up trucks) well into the late 1950's.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Don't toss it, it can even be used on a tractor......

Comment

Somewhere.... I have an old Arvin tube radio that still works.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Don't toss it. A 12 volt motor is easy to adapt. Even if the heater core is no good, I have seen a case like that used to conceal a modern CD player.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Those old heaters are cool....
            I bought one off Ebay years ago, and cleaned it all up and stuck it in the Yellow POS.
            Looked right at home in there... Put a 12v to 6v resistor (inside right on top of the fan blades) in there...
            Built the mount so it was also the ductwork for the defroster outlets.
            Other outlets blow on your feet or in the middle. Keeps the truck warm.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Looks sharp, Jeff!
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
              X