Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Speedomter cable hook up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Speedomter cable hook up

Happy New Year to all. Hope someone can help me figure out what I have, or what I have to do to correct the problem. I have what is supposed to be the right speedometer cable and pinion gear, but they wont fit into the transmission. Any thoughts. Click image for larger version

Name:	tranmission4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1756338 Click image for larger version

Name:	tranmission 2.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1756336Click image for larger version

Name:	tranmission 5.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1756337Click image for larger version

Name:	transmission 1.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1756339
    Last edited by Keithsmcc; 01-02-2018, 07:59 AM. Reason: add information

Looks like someone put a plug in the hole, perhaps when the transmission was rebuilt/painted?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Yes there is a plug in there, but the overall size is too small. The pinion gear won't even begin to go into the hole due to size, and the speedometer cable end just barley fits in there. Guess I should have mentioned the vehicle is 1960 Lark with a V8, and Flight o matic transmission.

Comment

Have you pulled the plug out?
        Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Frank DuVal View Post
          Have you pulled the plug out?
          No I have not. The plug is aprox 1/2 dia. the pinion gear closer to 5/8., and only the tip of the speedometer cable fits into the hole not even getting close to the o-ring to seal it. I received this Lark from a good friend who passed away estate. He did most of the chassis work I had the body work done. Got most of the vehicle in boxes.

Comment

Perhaps you are not understanding us. What you are seeing there on the trans is some manner of plastic plug that is merely stuck into the hole in the casting. Pry it out. Fling it far away in disgust. With a flashlight you will even be able to see the gear that the speedo pinion meshes with. Insert your speedometer cable and pinion; they are the correct size. Move onto the next task.
            Last edited by Ross; 01-02-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Hi Keith, I would have to see a side view of the Trans. end of that Cable you bought, to tell if you got the Old Style Cable that uses a Cork Gasket or the New Style that uses a Larger "Bullet shaped End" with Rubber "O" Ring.

I believe it changed in 1958.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                Perhaps you are not understanding us. What you are seeing there on the trans is some manner of plastic plug that is merely stuck into the hole in the casting. Pry it out. Fling it far away in disgust. With a flashlight you will even be able to see the gear that the speedo pinion meshes with. Insert your speedometer cable and pinion; they are the correct size. Move onto the next task.
                Did ask told and .....the whole thing was a plug. I have now moved on to next task.

Comment

Working...
                X