emergency brake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: emergency brake cable

I could use a little advise on re-assembling my 64 GT hawk. This will sound like a foolish question but here goes. Does the emergency brake cable under the car run below the exhaust system or above the exhaust pipes and just below the driveshaft ? I am now just putting the car back together after years of work. I did take a ton of pictures but - off course - I missed this .

Thanks , Mark
    Attached Files

Mine ran under the exhaust. But after fifty years who knows if thats right.

Comment

Amen . Best straight shot; its gonna rub some where . Just try to route so it doesn't rub much! Keep it away from propeller shaft (drive shaft)

Comment

I have looked through over 100 pictures and all of the Studebaker parts and service manuals and still come up wondering. lesson learned, take more pictures and don't take 20 years to reassemble.

Comment

Under both. Properly adjusted, it will have close clearance, but on all cars, many things are that way. By the way, great looking work! Share more pictures as you progress.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Mine runs under but I have often wondered if that was the way they came from the factory.

Comment

Under the driveshaft for sure. If it's touching the shaft in your bare frame photo remember, once all the body weight is put on it the shaft angle will rise. Mine runs under but it is a two piece shaft with a carrier bearing, so the front shaft never changes angle with suspension.
              If, as it appears in your photo, the cable is touching the exhaust, many factory exhausts had flattened areas to alleviate that, and a BFH can easily create one for you. Do this now while it is still a bare frame. It's nerve wracking to have that cable singing like a plucked string as you drive.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Mine runs under both also. It rubs slightly on the lh exhaust pipe, but I don't see any way to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  It rubs slightly on the lh exhaust pipe, but I don't see any way to change that.
                  See my response #7 regarding a BFH.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My pictures show the cable between the exhaust pipe and the driveshaft but I changed it to run below the exhaust pipe. I appears that the majority vote is it stays below everything. Thanks for the help, I will sleep better tonight.

Mark

Comment

Man........if I had a frame that beautiful, I'd sleep good tonight also.

Comment

My '62 has it running above the exhaust but below thw drivwshaft. I know it's been that way since at least the late '70s.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1717746
                        Attached Files

Comment

Your pictures are great, Just what I needed to see, Thank you The exhaust is still somewhat loose and the car is on the lift so no real problem changing things. I will try to attach a few pictures of the long journey to this point.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X