Daydreaming about paint colors - pro painter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Daydreaming about paint colors - pro painter help

The Avanti was born with white paint and an orange interior. I've not been a fan of white or gold paint, and trying to choose a color that works with the orange.

I'd considered Avanti gray, but it's slightly bluish, still some sort of gray is appealing to me. And given that Cooper has claimed the car for himself (It's still dirty and stinky like he is) I had an idea: He's part weimaraner, and that gray fur with silver tips is gorgeous.

So how would you custom paint guys come up with a color that is medium gray, but breaks to silver at the body lines and certain angles to the light? Pearl? Metallic and pearl? something else?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

You need to be very careful when working with orange as the color you want to contrast. Most colors are not tinted with yellows or reds to get their shades and that is needed to work with orange. You might consider a champagne color or if you want silver, get several different shades and spray them out on paint cards to see if they compliment the orange and the car. Avanti's don't look good with heavy metallic, so something very fine would look best.
    I did a 56 Nomad in the mid 90's that the customer wanted orange and white. He had picked a Ford Mustang orange from the color chart. All the whites were tinted with greens or blues and did not work. Looking at the Ford colors, there was an Almond color that had a red/yellow tint to it and complimented the orange well. The car went on to win numerous awards for best paint. The question he was asked most was, "What colors are those"? All of a sudden customs and hot rods were being painted orange and almond.
    I think the Avanti would look outstanding painted a non metallic almond color with the orange interior. Just have your dog's fur bleached to match..............
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Easiest way is to tour the new car dealers lots in your area. If that doesn't work go to the largest car show in your area. Good guys, NSRA etc. Nothing like seeing a color on a full sized vehicle and you can check different angles also. Bob

Comment

Mazda has a great gun metal pearl. I thought it would look fantastic on an Avanti.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The orange would really be striking with American Racing Blue.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if this is One and the Same?

They call it Blue Mica, 2010 & 2011 Mazda Gun Metal Blue Mica, not Gray or Silver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Mazda Gunmetal blue mica.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1717726 Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Mazda Gunmetal blue mica2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1717727
            Available on Mazda 3 Models.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich, that's too blue to work with orange IMHO. My neighbor has a 201X Mazda 6 that I've been eying, small metalflake and a good color for the orange interior, but I'd love to get a flash of silver like a Weimaraner's coat.
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

https://goo.gl/images/Y6G9uQ
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Wow he is very close to 1961 Studebaker Autumn Haze, a Grayish Brown, but unfortunately it has no Silver Flash.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It is more this color. http://anguerde.com/TTF-334657-mazda-mx-5.html
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Wow he is very close to 1961 Studebaker Autumn Haze, a Grayish Brown, but unfortunately it has no Silver Flash.
                      That's not Coop, but Autumn Haze pearl?
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Being color blind, I have never been able to understand why anyone would spend this much time choosing a color.
                        Just paint it blue, black or red and be done with it.
                        Am I right Neil Thornton?
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

OK, but....

What technique would take a gray (or fine metallic gray) and make it break to silver on the body creases? Pearl?
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                            What technique would take a gray (or fine metallic gray) and make it break to silver on the body creases? Pearl?
                            Yes, pearls are the ones that flop the most. Metallics generally lighten the whole shade of the color. There are different coarseness of pearls, as well as many shades. The old pearls gave everything a muddy yellowish cast, but modern pearls do not.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                            X