Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Bell housing alignment dowels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Torque Converter: Bell housing alignment dowels

I am getting ready to dial indicate a manual transmission bell housing to a formerly automatic equipped 259. I have the new flywheel bolts and the pan gasket and rear main seal. Everything I have read about this procedure refers to "drilling out and using oversize dowel pins" but I have never heard mention of where to obtain the oversize dowel pins (nor what size to get). Can someone help me?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Check the Grainger website, I think that is where I got my last ones. Also another potential source would be McMaster-Carr. Measure your existing dowel pins, and get the next size up.

Do you have access to an adjustable reamer to final-size the hole?

EDIT: Summit Racing also has bellhousing dowel pins.
    Last edited by r1lark; 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Original Studebaker V-8 dowel pins are a non-standard size - nominal 11/32” diameter. But, that means that the next larger size is 3/8” which is very common and would be available at any good fastenener supply source.
      Incidentally, when you do need a replacement 11/32” dowel pin, I would buy a 11/32” core pin intended for a plastic injection mold - typically available in say 8” lengths, and cut them to the dowel pin length with an abrasive cut-off. These are nominal plus .0001” or so so they made perfect dowel pins.

Comment

No telling what has happened to cars and parts after 50+ years, so before getting the new dowel pins it might be a good idea to check the sizes of the dowel pins that are in the engine now, and the holes in the 'new' bellhousing.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks all. I will get to this right after the New Year and post my findings here.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Before anything else, check the combination that you have as it now exists. You MAY get lucky.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I strongly recommend drilling new holes, and you can get 'dowel stock' from any hardware store. The dowels can be any size. Be sure to get good, new drill bits also.

Comment

Michael Myers supplied me with 1/4" roll pins. Drill 1/4" holes drive the pins in.

Comment

My Champ 289 Automatic was put together with Roll Pins.

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                  Michael Myers supplied me with 1/4" roll pins. Drill 1/4" holes drive the pins in.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I would like to test my two builds with stock pins to start. 11/32" dowel pins do not exist on the internet that I can see. SI does not list them. Is there a source?

JK

Comment

Jon, what about an 11/32' Drill Bit cut to length ?

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                      I would like to test my two builds with stock pins to start. 11/32" dowel pins do not exist on the internet that I can see. SI does not list them. Is there a source?

JK
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Re-read my Post #3 and you will note that 11/32 + .0001” injection mold core pins are available. These can be cut to the desired length. Any large city will have a source for these or they can be found online.
                        I retired from the plastic injection molding and aluminum die casting world and the tool room always had an inventory of core pins for repairing molds and dies. They were typically longer than needed so I had a nice source of cut off lengths.

Comment

And it could be noted that the Studebaker Dowel Pin, #531085, is “No Longer Available” from the usual sources.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            Jon, what about an 11/32' Drill Bit cut to length ?
                            I thought of that idea too but rapidly back pedalled when I remember that all drills in this size range are about .002" smaller in diameter than their nominal size. (drills are purposely ground undersize and they end up drilling slightly oversize)
                            I dunno, why not at least poke an new drill into the hole and see. This is why I own a Lathe ! I made my own to suit .
                            I did a bit of checking and find that raw 'Drill Rod' in the 11/32" range may well be worth looking at because it's finish ground to within plus or minus half a thou of nominal size. I remember from my own experience it's tough stuff and designed to be hardened- comes in 3 ft lengths. Worth a checking with an enginering supplier, perhaps?
                            Steve
                            Last edited by Steve Winzar; 01-01-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I was also going to suggest buying drill rod. I used to buy it in several sizes from a local tool store and a local hardware store, but they both closed about 10 years ago, so I can no longer find it local.

Comment

Working...
                              X