No announcement yet.

Bell housing alignment dowels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't you reuse the existing dowel pins. With the bell housing on spot re-drill the new holes, but first test drill to assure a size for size fit, you may need a reamer. It is conceivable that the hole in the block is possibly .0001 smaller than the hole in the housing for a snug fit. Or the hole is size for size and the housing is. 0001 over? I would drill some test holes firstly as you only get one chance to get it right. I would recommend drilling new holes. I switched an automatic over to a standard however, I was luckey and my run out was only about .001 - .002.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      Before anything else, check the combination that you have as it now exists. You MAY get lucky.
      Recommend assembly and test before you buy or work on anything.

I bought all I needed to do the job but ended up using another bellhousing, better condition, and it was closer than the specs needed, go figure. So, I have some larger dowels and reamer to suite.

If you follow the shop manual it recommends drilling new holes.

Please try what you have first "You MAY get lucky".

Len

Comment

I always check alignment using the existing holes prior to doing anything. You wiuld be suprised at how many actually line up. I indicate the bellhousing bore and record the error and mark the direction of mis-alignment. I then take a grade 5 or grade 8 partially threaded 3/8 bolt and turn up some 11/32 offset dowels. The amount of offset is 1/2 the total indicator reading. If you have to move .020", the dowels need a .010" offset. Install the pins and check your work.
        james r pepper

Comment

Only one other person mentioned this, so I want to reemphasize the following as the easiest and best way to align the bell housing. Align the bell housing to the block with a dial indicator and check the alignment again after everything is securely clamped in place. Then, with good quality new sharp 1/4” drill, drill 2 new alignment holes. Buy two 1/4” roll pins, AKA pinch pins, and drive them into the new alignment holes. Check again for proper alignment, bolt the bell housing in place, and check alignment one last time.
          Stan Gundry
          www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

Working...
          X