Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (S)
    replied
    If the flasher unit is on its way out, it will do the same thing..... its a $ 15 part.....

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Thanks Rich, so then I agree with others that it is likely in the turn signal switch.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Tom, I believe all 1951 to '66's have Single, Dual Filament Bulbs, so the Wiring and pretty much everything in the circuit is completely different from '47-'50's.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    My 1950 has separate bulbs for brake and turn light. Are they that way for 1955, or did they combine them to one filament?
    My 50 Champion lost the right rear turn signal last summer, and I found it was the connection at the harness for the right rear taillight.
    I pulled the wire, then reinstalled it and had good lights again. I like to use grease on all wire terminals, to keep corrosion away.

Leave a comment:

• jfjepse
    replied
    Thanks guys for the advice. I suspected the ts switch too --- pulled the wheel and worked it over with contact cleaner and corrosion-x. That got everything working but the one brake light. Before doing that neither brakes or ts worked.

I ordered the new switch from SI. Hopefully that cures the problem.

Leave a comment:

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    If the turn signal switch doesn't completely center itself, you may lose one brake light. Also, the repro plastic ts cancelling pieces are not always precisely molded and can cause this problem. Try slightly jiggling the ts lever with brakes applied while someone is watching the taillights to check. I had the same issue on my GT, replaced the ts switch and problem persisted. I ended up reshaping the plastic cancelling piece with judicious use of a heat gun and some very judicious reforming. I also lubed all the moving parts in the column with dielectric grease.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    Any time there are only working lights on one side and not the other, the turn signal switch is usually the problem. Doesn't matter if it's a Studebaker or a Rolls Royce. Usually requires a new switch, but you can try cleaning contacts and hope. The work required to get to the switch and remove it warrants replacing with new instead of going through the work several times and ending up replacing anyway.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
    You might try to connect the brake light wires and see if you get brake lights. You might also check for a good ground and of course pull the bulbs. I had an issue with my '54 Willys like that. Double check the fuse as well . On my '64's the fuse for the interior light also controls the brake lights.
    Rob in PA.
    He has a brake light on one side (left). The ground and that filament of the bulb is good is because he has a turn signal on that side (right). It is not the fuse because the brake lights work on one side (left).

The next answer about the turn signal switch does make sense. It has to be in the power path somewhere between the brake light switch and to where the power to that bulb filament comes from.
    Last edited by studegary; 12-30-2017, 08:38 AM. Reason: added left and right for clarity

Leave a comment:

• graylark
    replied
    Had the same problem with my 61 Lark on the left side. It was the turn signal switch.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    You might try to connect the brake light wires and see if you get brake lights. You might also check for a good ground and of course pull the bulbs. I had an issue with my '54 Willys like that. Double check the fuse as well . On my '64's the fuse for the interior light also controls the brake lights.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• jfjepse
    started a topic Electrical: Brake lights

Brake lights

Hi all,

Got an electrical problem I can't figure out.

55 Commander, original 6v system.-- Running lights front and rear, blinkers, and left brake light working. Right brake light won't go. All the wiring in the rear of the car is good since the light works with the blinker...

Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. Electrical ain't my strong suit.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X