X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How to install a grille surround C-K 54

Leaurent from france
    It is for a starliner commander 54

I recieve a NOS grille surround, but i don't know which screw i need to use, i taked a picture for example screw 1 or 2?
    No threads on the grille surround.
    I don't know even the size for the screw.
    I have no idea, because i don't have the old surround grille.
    Thanks for your help
    Attached Files
    GT Hawk 62 V8
    Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
    Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
    Transtar 57 V8
    Starliner 54 V8

You can use either method of fastening the surrounds to the body.

But you say that there are "no threads" in the standoff holes ?
    You will have to either use "self tapping" (have a small "V" groove cut into the end of the threads) fasteners or tap your own threads in the stand-off's to use the studs provided. I would (carefully) tap my own holes. Less of a chance of breaking the stand-off.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for your help Mike. But, what is the original solution approved by Studebaker in 1954 or which is the best solution to fix the grille surround on the car ?
      Attached Files
      GT Hawk 62 V8
      Transtar 57 V8
      Starliner 54 V8

Comment

Unfortunately my computer has a mind of it's own to day and won't print my pictures. The grill surrounds I have are threaded with 10 - 24 threads, you may want to double check yours. Mine are fitted with 22 mm
        (3/4" studs) without the unthreaded space in the center, they are solid threads with 3/8" speed nuts. With the unthreaded portion in the center will not allow the nut to tighten up. The studs would be threaded in firstly then the grill surround set in place then the 3/8" speed nuts installed.

Comment

Jurassic Classic Auto Parts has the nuts in their catalog they are called washer-locking-nuts and they have 10 - 24 threads listed. Any 10-24 threaded rod cut to length will work with the washer-locking-nuts.

Comment

The original was mounted with studs (#1 in your photo), and Keps nuts.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Here is a sketch I made in 1994 taking apart my '53 K. Would assume the '54 is the same?

So, there is a combo of self tapping screws and studs with nuts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 Studebaker K grill screws.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1717722

3 studs w/nuts go on the 3 mounts under the headlight. The other 8 are self tapping screws. Then of course that phillips head counter sunk bolt in the corner that is visible from the top on the outside of the car.

On my car, the 3 studs had a square plate under the nut on the inside of the fender.

I had my grills repaired/replated and those screw bosses were in poor shape so what I used to put them back in didn't necessarily match what was there originally. Don't tighten them too much or risk bending/cracking the castings.

I see my notes didn't give the thread size of those 8 self tapping screws. But, the had a nut driver type head on them as the drawing shows. I actually probably still have Bag #13 someplace in my garage loft but since its -10F (-23C) outside right now there is no way I am going to look now!!

Jeff in ND

Comment

Since you only need two of the Phillips flat-head countersunk machine screws for the outer corners, here's a good source of 316 Stainless screws purchasable by the single piece. I bought four; used two and gave the other two to a friend for his '54 project.
                https://www.boltdepot.com/Machine_sc..._316.aspx?nv=l
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for your help
                  Attached Files
                  GT Hawk 62 V8