Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

front spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: front spindles

Anyone know if the front spindles are the same between the disc brake cars and the drum on a 63-64 hawk.

I believe so, but not positive. One way to be sure would be to check the parts manual.

Comment

Sorry, but Disc brake cars have a machined flat where the caliper adapter bolts to it.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Benz. Will a hub from a drum brake car minus the drum fit on and work with the disc brake spindle?

Comment

If you use Turner disk brakes you can use the non disk brake spindles.
          Studebaker disk brake spindles were different from the non disk brake cars.
          http://turnerbrake.com

Comment

I've got both so can use the right spindles. Just wondering if the drum hub would fit the disc brake ones if I ever wanted to use them.

Comment

Yes any backing plate will bolt onto a disc brake spindle. It is the back side of the spindle that is machined differently. The bearing side is the same. Since the backing plates bolt onto the front side, then you have no worries.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think maybe you are trying to put Drum Hubs onto Rotors?
                Believe it or not, they carry a Different Part Number, so NOT the same.

If you are talking about the Spindles themselves, nothing on the Bearing, Seal and Hub portion changed, just as Bez said, the BACK mounting surface does not fit the Stock Bendix Disc. Brake Caliper Mounting bracket or the Turner Kit Bracket, if the spindle is pre-1963.

On '63 and on, I do not think it matters, they all work with whatever.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

According to Jim Turner's website you an use the stock spindles from 1953-64.
                  Jim , please chime in!

Comment

The only difference between the disc brake spindles and the non-disc brake spindles is on the back side of the disc brake spindles, the surface has been ground flat, so that the disc brake bracket will bolt up flush to the spindle. On the Non-disc brake spindles, the backside of the mount holes for the backing plate is counter-bored so the lock washer and nut with fit flush. Originally, when I did the brake kits for my Avanti, I did not know this, and set the brackets up using a 57 Golden Hawk spindle and king-pin. Worked out better for me, since my kits fit 51 and up through the 84 Avantis.
                    I have a prototype in my shop for the 50 Champions with the 4 bolt lug pattern! I am having a "couple" sets made up for testing. I hope to have them available "soon" but, things sure seem to take a lot longer to get accomplished!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                    X