63 Champ Tranny Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 63 Champ Tranny Swap

I have a 63 Champ that a PO tried to convert to a floor shift. It has a 170 OH 6 with a 3 speed w/OD manual trans.and no matter what I do to adjust the linkage I can't seem to get 1st and reverse to shift right. The rod going to 1st and reverse has to be bent to go over the OD solenoid causing it to bind up. Is there a 3 or 4 speed Studebaker trans without OD that I can swap in without mods? I would ultimately like to swap with an automatic so my wife can drive it but I figure that would need more mods. Is there any trans (manual or auto) that will easily swap? The shifter it has now is a Hurst "Indy" universal. Maybe a different shifter?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Well, that truck needs overdrive to be driveable with that engine. Any transmission not having an overdriven top gear will make the engine run out of revs at about 55 miles an hour. To run an aftermarket floor shifter with overdrive usually requires that the entire shifter be mounted higher than is usual for such shifters. Means cutting a bigger hole in the floor, and fabricating some sort of "shift tower box". If you go to a straight 3-speed, or a Flightomatic, you will have to change to a taller rear axle, probably a 3.31.

Simplest and easiest solution for now: make the current floor shifter work right. Maybe take the tranny out, put it on the bench, install the shifter, and make such tweaks as are necessary to eliminate the interference. Set up the shifter mount so it can be dropped into place through the floor hole, and then bolted up without a mess of struggle.

Best long-term solution, if you like the truck, and want to drive it a lot? Swap in a 259 or 289 Studebaker V8, couple to a TH700R4 overdrive automatic. Best of both worlds.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Here are some references for a floor shift/Overdrive scenario. Might not be a 6 Cylinder involved, but you can get the drift...

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...17p2g.html#FSO
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

About the only way you can get what you want and still have a driveable truck is to swap it out with a 350 chev and a 700r4.

Comment

I had a 3spd Trans w/OD that I sold and it had a shifter mounted as what gordr stated, Also my wife has the same truck but the shifter is still on the tree , Granted its not the fastest rocket in the silo but we drive it all over , Enjoy it , Ed

Comment

As Gord says, hang in there. Floor shifts have been successfully installed on all the Stude manual transmissions. That the PO didn't get it right the first try is his bad. And yes, again as Gord says, get it out on the bench where you can see the problem.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks. Looks like my best bet is to get a new shifter and start from scratch. Seems like the existing shifter rods were bent wrong and I can't get them straightened out enough to work.

Comment

You shouldn't have to trash the entire shifter if the linkage rods are bent. JEGS or Summit should have new linkage rods for most popular aftermarket shifters. Or heat up the bent rods with a torch, and hammer them straight.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

There have been times where I have had link interference and I have "stepped" the linkage around the problem. Say for example the linkage is 12" long and 2" at the center is hitting something. I have cut 3" out of the center (giving plenty of clearance) and then welded a rod of equal thickness (a few inches longer for overlap) to rejoin the cut sections. Hopefully the drawn image will help. I don't know if this will help in your case (I am unfamiliar with the situation) but thought I would throw it out there for consideration. I would have likely made the cuts at 45 degree angles for appearance/clearance sake but for simplicity left them straight cuts.
                  Attached Files
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

On trucks with the T89, I usually make a bracket so as to mount the shifter higher and further forward. This allows short, straight rods.

On cars with the T86 or trucks with the T90, sometimes bent rods allow a lower, more rearward shifter location, should that be preferred.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks. I sort of figured out it needs to be higher and further forward. Now trying to figure out how to modify the home-made bracket to accommodate that.

Getting closer!

Comment

Another solution, though a little pricey is to convert to a Ford or Chevy T5 five speed tranny. The adapter is available from several of our fine vendors. The T5 is a top loader trans, so no linkage to fool with and 5th gear is overdrive so the original rear end gears are correct. Those that have done this conversion are very happy with the results.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have a T5 in my Ranger which I was planning to retire when the Champ is done. Would the 2-piece drive shaft (which is brand new) have to be modified to work?

Comment

Working...
                          X