Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1959 Lark and 1962 Lark Steering box interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1959 Lark and 1962 Lark Steering box interchange

Hi Guys,
    there is a geezer here in the UK that has a 59 Lark 2 door sedan he wishes to do vintage racing with.

He was asking if a recirculating ball steering box from a 61 to 66 Studebaker will interchange with no modification with the old style 59 steering box with peg and shaft.

Have any of you done this and is there other things to consider like steering collar and whether the old steering wheel will fit on the later spline etc?

Regards
    Greg
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

The "box" will bolt to the frame without problem.
    BUT, the original 59 steering wheel will not go onto the 62 steering shaft.
    The box and shaft are one piece on both boxes, so without some cutting and welding (not recommended) the 59 steering wheel will have to sit on the shelf and be replaced by a custom wheel or the 62 wheel.

I put a late box on my 54 wagon (same attachment as the Lark), and used an aftermarket wheel with a "Grant" adapter.

Mike

Comment

The steering wheels should be interchangeable the steering wheel may have a different shape but the splines should be identical. Now the 59 maybe a Ross and the 63-66 maybe saginaw. I hope some else can chime in on this. Here is an exploded view of a 63 I think
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08924.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1717588

Comment

I installed a late Lark gear in my '60 many years ago and was able to bolt the old steering wheel right on. Can about guarantee that a 59 is the same. The horn wire will no longer be able to go down the center of the steering shaft as it is solid on the Saginaw gear. I made a little brass contact to rub on the back of a late horn contact plate that I installed on my wheel.

The change to the late gear is very worthwhile and gives easier steering with better road feel.

Comment

"Here is an exploded view"

Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            The "box" will bolt to the frame without problem.
            BUT, the original 59 steering wheel will not go onto the 62 steering shaft.

Mike
            Just an FYI, the steering wheel spline/shaft changed after the '56 model year. 57-66 are the same.

Comment

That 63 looks to be a little too nice to just part it out! The seat could use a little freshening up though.

Comment

Hey Greg,

It's been awhile since we last spoke, I believe it was at Jim Linnel's place about 30 years ago.

I have a 62 Saginaw box in my 59 Lark with the original 59 steering wheel. If one wants to make everything work, like the horn and indicators, it can take some time depending on what parts you want to use. I used a late model Lark plastic directional setup and the horn parts sourced from an mid fifties car that also used a Saginaw type box, with the wire that doesn't run through the center of the shaft. No one can tell when looking at the steering wheel, column, indicator shaft, etc... what is inside it. If using the late Lark type indicator setup the connectors on the loom are different sizes and that needs to be addressed.

The main thing is to use the pitman arm, and drag link from the Saginaw. The rest of the parts are only if he wants to make it road worthy. One other thing is that while doing the conversion I had two Saginaw steering boxes and columns and two Ross boxes, one 6 cylinder and one V8, with columns.

The other choice is between the two Saginaw boxes, 6 or V8. The 6 has 4-3/4 turns lock to lock, the V8 one has 5-1/5 turns. Not much difference and the strength is the same so I went for the 4-3/4 one.

Len

Comment

I stand half corrected, thanks mbstude.
                  At least I know the box is a bolt in..!

Mike

Comment

The information above regarding different ratio ‘61 up Saginaw steering boxes is not correct, in that 6 cylinder and V-8 Larks are not different.
                    What is different is that ALL power steering equipped cars - all body styles - and all non-Power steering cars, except convertibles and sliding roof station wagons, had the 20:1 ratio steering box. Then ONLY non-Power steering convertibles and sliding roof wagons have the 24:1 ratio steering box.
                    This can be confirmed in the Chassis Catalog, Group 1301A.

Comment

Originally posted by az64stude View Post
                      The steering wheels should be interchangeable the steering wheel may have a different shape but the splines should be identical. Now the 59 maybe a Ross and the 63-66 maybe saginaw. I hope some else can chime in on this. Here is an exploded view of a 63 I think
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]69172[/ATTACH]
                      Was this (funny!) picture taken at Chuck Naugle's place?
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes it wasClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC08692.jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1717598

Name:	DSC08864.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1717599 more pics of steering parts

Name:	DSC08856.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1717600 for reference.

Comment

Thanks for the additional pics. Obviously the front clip was torn, ahem,... , carefully disassembled to get the engine out. I wish my car was an Arizona one. These suspension bushes seem in better shape than mine. Yes, this can apply to my knees, too.
                          Nice day to all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Guys
                            thanks for the tips and sorry for my tardy response.

Len, 30 years ago is a long time and I have killed a lot of my brain cells since then. So I am having trouble remembering having met you.
                            What were you doing in Oz and at Jim's place ?

Was I in my Bordeaux Red 64 GT at the time ???

Regards
                            Greg Diffen
                            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X