Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1962 Hawk door glass removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 1962 Hawk door glass removal

How do you remove the door glass from 1962 Hawk. I have the door on work bench and have removed the regulator so to clean and grease it now I want the glass out to clean up the frame and put in new cat whiskers. Do I need to take the vent frame out first? Help appreciated. Chet

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
    How do you remove the door glass from 1962 Hawk. I have the door on work bench and have removed the regulator so to clean and grease it now I want the glass out to clean up the frame and put in new cat whiskers. Do I need to take the vent frame out first? Help appreciated. Chet
    If I remember correctly (it's been a loooong time), since you have already removed the regulator, all you have to do is remove the stop at the top of the front vertical track and the window will slide right out the top. Oh yeah, there's a stop at the back of the window too.
    BTW, the cat whiskers can be installed with the glass in the door. Adjust the bottom stop bolt so that the glass will go farther down.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I have taken out many car door windows over the years and this one was the hardest I have ever encountered. It took me over three hours and I am not sure I can get it back in; it will be less than fun. I have a cushioned work table so I'm not fighting the weight of the door parts. Yes it does come out; I should hope I never have to replace the glass. Chet

Comment

These procedures are covered in the Shop Manual, available from many of our Studebaker vendors.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I have taken out many car door windows over the years and this one was the hardest I have ever encountered. It took me over three hours and I am not sure I can get it back in; it will be less than fun. I have a cushioned work table so I'm not fighting the weight of the door parts. Yes it does come out; I should hope I never have to replace the glass. Chet
          They are NOT that difficult. You must have got off to a bad start.
          Although, every one I have ever done has been with the door attached to the car. Wrestling the door around also may have complicated it.

Comment

The problem was the window run on the back of the vent window frame, I didn't want to break glass or bend the frame work.

Comment

The window run stays attached to the vent frame. The only thing you need to remove is the two small phillips head screws at the top that holds a small die cast piece that is the upper window stop. Lower the window until you can see the acme screw in the regulator arm, that is the lower limit stop. Loosen that screw and slide it backwards so the window will go down in the door past the cats whiskers. Once it is clear of the cats whiskers, remove them by prying behind where the clips are. You must remove one at least so the rollers on the back of the window stainless surround don't hang up on removal. Once you remove the pin guide clips fro the regulator to the lower glass channel the window should be free to slide straight up and all the way out of the door. It will slide along the front vent window channel with the fuzzy liner traveling along with the door glass frame. In other words the front liner moves with the glass frame, not the glass frame moving withing the liner. One it is out, be sure to replace the front liner as it is critical to stop rattles, and proper glass alignment.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

bezhawk, I followed your directions precisely and the window will not drop below the whiskers. Then I removed the regulator and it still will not get to the bottom. It is like hitting on something at the bottom. What possibly be in the way? The window runs are clear as near as I can tell. Chet

Comment

Pictures of the window parts inside of your door may help some of us see you problem. I would like to know did you remove the window stop screw from the roller mechanism? That would not allow the window to go below the cat whiskers.

Comment

bezhawk, I followed your directions precisely and the window will not drop below the whiskers. Then I removed the regulator and it still will not get to the bottom. It is like hitting on something at the bottom. What possibly be in the way? The window runs are clear as near as I can tell. Chet
                    I can't understand how anyone could be so dense so as to not be able to figure out why a door glass wont go up or down. Especially with the door off the car and laying on the work bench. Man, take a flashlight and look inside the door. Oh, BTW, first you said " removed the regulator so to clean and grease" now you say you removed the regulator after bezhawk's directions. Which is it?

Rant over!
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I' am sorry, I am forgetful as I don't have a Hawk in front of me in the shop currently to look at. I will post a pic from the body manual. These are illustration numbers, not part numbers. If you can see it, illustration.2120-32 is a small stop held to the inner side of the door with two phillips head screws. It hits a small bolt that is in the very end of the lower track, 2120-17. Remove that nut and bolt, and it should drop down. Click image for larger version

Name:	64bodmp152.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1717593 Click twice on the pic. to enlarge it.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well I finally discovered why the door windows would not drop to the bottom when released from the regulator. It was not obvious but the window was hanging up on the cat wisher at the back. Even though it appeared ready to drop past the whiskers the window would not do so. I finally pried the area at the top back... and another person yanked hard on the window from below. Both doors reacted the same. Bezhawk thank you for the picture. Chet

Comment

Working...
                        X