Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Adding an oil filter after the fact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sobranterob View Post
    I have a 61 Lark,OHV 6 it has no oil filter, and I can't see where it would have been mounted, nor do I see a place for any fittings.
    I think the restriction value was very close to and almost behind the starter.
    Can someone tell me the location of the in and out hose lines.
    No, most if not all OHV Sixes have TWO 1/8 Pipe threaded Holes near the center of the Block, Left side, over and under. The Lower one is an easy access Return and the upper is the Pressure Port.

The Restrictor Hole is in the Spin-On Filter Base Casting, so that it can not be run without it.

I have connected my Frantz, Tissue Paper Filters there, and it was an easy install.

My '63 takes 7 Qts. because it has the Full Flow AND a Frantz, with adding a full Qt. at every 1-2000 Mile Filter Change, the Oil could Last 2 to 5 Years or more due to the addition of fresh Oil and additives that do "wear out".

The Mfg. Sky Corp. recommended NEVER changing the Oil due to their "Particulate Matter" Testing, Oil with Many Miles and Years on it. I play it safe, and change it at 1 or 2 Years.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I do see the picture but my new question is will the OHV 6 work for my V8?

Thanks for all the responses.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

Just the filter base you will need the V8 pipes and mounting bracket. Or you could get one of these.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08932.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1717659

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
          I do see the picture but my new question is will the OHV 6 work for my V8?

Thanks for all the responses.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Bob-
          The same can/holder (post #18) was used on both 6 and V8. It just mounts somewhat differently. The factory units came with steel tubing, but the accessory units sold by dealers often came with flexible hoses. Given their age, those hoses are probably no good any more anyway. You could use copper tubing and bend it yourself -- or you might be able to find a used kit that is complete with the tubing. Tom Karkiewicz might have one.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
          X