Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Leaking fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Leaking fuel pump

I have a 1946 M-5 pickup with a double pumper fuel pump and have tried three replacements. They all leak oil when the engine is running at the breather hole between the two bladders. Anyone know what the problem is?

fuel pump

Originally posted by Jim Freed View Post
    I have a 1946 M-5 pickup with a double pumper fuel pump and have tried three replacements. They all leak oil when the engine is running at the breather hole between the two bladders. Anyone know what the problem is?
    Check your crankcase breather that it is not plugged causing excess crankcase pressure. Lift the breather cap off while the engine is running and hear if the tone changes.

Comment

I'm a little confused regarding your term "double pumper." I'm familiar with "double-action," which is a fuel pump with a built-in vacuum pump for powering vacuum windshield wipers. If that is what you have, perhaps a picture of how you have it plumbed up would be informative and help us help you. Need to see how it is plumbed up. Usually, pumping either gas or oil through the vent indicates a hole in a diaphragm. If you have one of those rebuilt or aftermarket pumps with an exposed unsealed actuator rod pivot...that is more likely the source of oil leak. Pictures could be a big help.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X