Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Good info concerning the venting of an automotive crankcase............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Good info concerning the venting of an automotive crankcase............

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...-/3749311.html

Very informative, thanks for sharing! I am now wondering if I need to worry about the PCV system on my R2 Hawk. It has all the original factory configuration pieces on it including the original PCV valve and seems to be working OK but maybe the car could be running better...??? Looks like I have another project coming up.

Comment

Great hidden information, Sam. Thanks a bunch. I can't help but wonder how many of us have been chasing our tails over the years when the PCV was the culprit we were actually chasing. Those shootout test results are phenomenal.
      Cheers, Bill

Comment

"it is normal for a PCV valve to rattle when disconnected'

...and so, if it does not rattle there is/could be a problem; yes?

Comment

That article missed "Vacuum" systems.
          Many race cars, most ALL (non-supercharged) drag racers actually pull a vacuum in the crankcase, over and above just a "vent". There's a growing population of hot rod street guys doing this too.

Mike

Comment

Yes, it's operating normally and it should rattle. If not, remove and soak in brake cleaner or safety clean tank (if you have a shop)
            Originally posted by skyway View Post
            "it is normal for a PCV valve to rattle when disconnected'

...and so, if it does not rattle there is/could be a problem; yes?

Comment

I am ordering one for my Avanti, I asked for an adapter to plumb into the back of my AFB carb.
              Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Great hidden information, Sam. Thanks a bunch. I can't help but wonder how many of us have been chasing our tails over the years when the PCV was the culprit we were actually chasing. Those shootout test results are phenomenal.
              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                I am ordering one for my Avanti, I asked for an adapter to plumb into the back of my AFB carb.
                Please report back when you have some experience with it.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

This I always try to tell people about:
                  Pistons go TWO ways & one is DOWN & where do they think(?) that compressed air goes...?

& one more thing many seems to forget is to change oilfilter EVERYTIME the oil is being changed!
                  If air or oil get stucked/choked it's gonna seep out by the crankshaft seals & how fun is it to replace those?
                  No, many just buy some "wonder-working" stuff to stop the leaks & when that don't work they sell the car...
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

I have a diesel truck and subscribe to several related websites. Many times I read posts where "experts" recommend improving things by "rerouting" the PCV system to vent it to atmosphere. I'd be willing to bet those folks who do that are going to be experiencing leaking seals soon.

Comment

I aint no expert but if you get the pressure out instead of just keeping the engine closed I would think even that would help?
                      When I was 19 I bought a Hemi that had been raced 3 years with Hilborn injection & the valvecovers were drilled in 3 different places/cover & had little scoops on & the seals were not leaking so it must've done some good.
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Jeff Rice has a vacuum pump on his "Black Car" and is impressive to see how it works, but I think many of us would do well with he addition of the Wagner adjustable PVC valve. I'll have one on my Hawk when it is up and running. Bill

Comment

They say the problems arise when mismatched parts are used, that are not calibrated to the specific engine. If you have the NOS stock valve I don't think you are going to see a significant improvement. The author even states that in the text.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Can someone take a picture of the R-1 pcv valve as screwed into the back of the AFB carb and post it here??

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                            X