No announcement yet.

Tips or Tricks to unseize a locked 259?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Tips or Tricks to unseize a locked 259?

Went to try to turn over the 259 in my wagon and it wouldn't budge with the breaker bar. Any suggestions to try short of pulling and rebuilding?
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Pull the spark plugs. Remove the rocker covers, pull the rocker arms. Buy a big spray can of Kroil or other solvent. Using the wand, spray the valve stems, spray a lot inside the cylinders. Give it a few days. Then whack the top of each valve stem with a brass hammer. It should be obvious if any are stuck. A loose valve sounds hollow and can be felt to move. A stuck one sounds solid. Then, try turning the rotating assembly again.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Plugs out. I put MMO per suggestion from a buddy. Will PB blaster work in place of the kroil?

Will pick up a brass hammer tomorrow at home depot
      Last edited by cultural infidel; 11-21-2017, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I had a small block ford in a boat, that was stuck. Tried all the soaking, prying etc. I finally had to pull the heads, and pop each piston with a block of wood slightly smaller than the bore. The cylinder walls were clean, so I'm guessing that it was just the rings seized to the cyl. wall. I oiled it up, turned it over with the starter a few times, then bolted back together with new gaskets. It runs very strong, so no harm done. Good Luck.

Comment

That will probably be my next step if the soaking methods do not work. I've waited this long to start moving on the car. I'm in no rush. My goal is March to have her running.

Comment

I just used a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone that worked with in a few days But as they say your results may vary , Ed

Comment

I just unstuck a 289 which had been in storage since the mid 70's. I removed all the plugs, loosened the valve train, belts, etc. It took about two weeks but I kept at it with
              all the commercial products, MMO, actetone and tranny fluid. I hooked up a fully charged battery and a remote starter and would bump the starter while applying pressure on the crank bolt (but not too much). After a week of adding various fluids and trying to turn it over I just left it alone for about a week and then half heartedly thought I would give it one more try and too my surprise it turned over spraying the various fluids still in the cylinders all over the place. Amazingly the engine has great compression on all cylinders, great vacuum and 40psi at hot idle. Patience pays off.

Comment

Patience is better than disassembly. Use a lot of solvent and let the solvent have time to soak.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Diesel fuel in the cylinders has always worked for me. Let it sit for a week, then use a breaker bar to see if you can move it

Comment

Diesel and Acetone has worked for me. Just don't get too happy with the breaker bar. a smaller bar on the flywheel teeth sometimes works too, just again don't get too happy with it.

Comment

Will be trying any and all solvents for this... and taking my time. Brass hammer to be delivered on my day off Friday.
                      Last edited by cultural infidel; 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

With all the chemicals we have suggested to Infidel to put in those cylinders he should beware of spontaneous combustion !

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                          With all the chemicals we have suggested to Infidel to put in those cylinders he should beware of spontaneous combustion !
                          Let's hope I come home to the garage still standing!

Comment

I've seen guys with antique tractors fill them with diesel and Acetone mix 50/50 then take a breaker on the engine with a brick tied to it as a weight. Let the weight do the work over time, instead of prying on it. If you're not in a hurry, it does seem to work. takes a month or so that way, but less destructive on the engine.

Comment

Another votr for 50/50 acetone and ATF. And lots of patience. replenish daily for 2 or 3 wks and finde a friend with a tractor or a truck to pull it . 2nd gear clutch in til 10 or 15 mph and pop it. Be sure you are not in OD. ( tried it - doesn't work too well!!) Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X